grainy footage

Posted by vizwiz 
grainy footage
April 23, 2007 07:06PM
I apologize for this post?s being only partially related to FCP issues. I posted on HVX/technical forum of dvxuser.com and got no response, as I often find it to be the case there.
Here, on the other hand, seasoned pro?s jump to rescue in short order.
Perhaps one of you shoots with an HVX and would have an insight into the mystery.

This screen grab is from a month ago in a very dark warehouse, and yet, no grain.
warehouse shot

This one is last Saturday, close to noon, outside, and it?s terribly grainy. ALL of my footage now is grainy, some shots more than others, but even very well lit ones have grain, especially in shadows and blacks.
car shot
The only thing I can think of that has changed since the warehouse shoot is that I reset the camera to factory settings. The guy who had it before was shooting professionally and had his own scene file settings.

It?s all shot in CINE D (scene file F6), camera set to ?film?, 720p 24p, shutter 1/24, light gain on LO,(actually, the warehouse shot was with gain set on HI, and still no grain!) with zebras set to 100% and irised down so only a few zebras are present here and there.

White and black balanced.

Thank you,
vw
Re: grainy footage
April 23, 2007 08:01PM
those links aren't working for me:

"ERROR 404 - PAGE NOT FOUND
Oops! Looks like the page you're looking for was moved or never existed.
Make sure you typed the correct URL or followed a valid link.

We recommend you load this web site using Firefox."

i'm using safari, so maybe that's it?
April 23, 2007 08:11PM
very sorry, got it fixed, thanks.
April 24, 2007 12:38AM
Its hard to say.
To me the car shot definately looks under exposed which could explain the problem for this shot.

Could you post something that is bnot as dark?

Does the HVX add film grain as an effect on the "film" setting?

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
April 24, 2007 12:38AM
Its hard to say.
To me the car shot definately looks under exposed which could explain the problem for this shot.

Could you post something that is not as dark?

Does the HVX add film grain as an effect on the "film" setting?

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
April 24, 2007 01:37AM
here's one with more light.

goon

It's overexposed to the point that the sky and some leaves are blown out. When you look at the machine gun, it's so grainy it looks green. HVX manual says nothing about adding grain; there are two settings - video and "film" camera. The "CINE D" preset I have been using is is supposed to emulate film look with color gamma curve settings.
April 24, 2007 09:18AM
It's always been my belief that in-camera effects settings should not be used. Filters and exposure, yes, but not effects -- because they permanently alter your footage and leave you no room to move in post-production. Usually when it comes to image effects like film simulation and motion, it's better to shoot as clean as possible and experiment with the best effect in post.

I'm not sure if the "Cine D" setting is the culprit here, but it's possible.

www.derekmok.com
April 24, 2007 10:39PM
Could it be?

There are 6 presets to pick from for the camera (one must be selected)

#5 is CINE V for ?shooting movie-like scenes where CONTRAST is to be emphasized?

#6 is CINE D for ?shooting movie-like scenes where DYNAMIC RANGE is to be emphasized?

I?ve been using 6.

Thank you

vw
April 25, 2007 08:25PM
#6 is CINE D for ?shooting movie-like scenes where DYNAMIC RANGE is to be emphasized?

Yes that could be it. I was looking at your images but it did not make me any smarter : )
It seemed as if the luma range was a bit wide, which could explain the grain in the black.

I did find it was easy to bring it back in post though.

i will agree with Derek on this however.
Do not under any circumstances shoot with camera effects enabled.
it limits you in post.

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
April 25, 2007 11:28PM
I tried the CINE V and it had the same grainy blacks as CINE D. Is grain normal in low-light shots even if gain is turned off on camera?

Thank you

vw
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics