Matrox MXO and Dell 2405

Posted by Shane Ross 
Matrox MXO and Dell 2405
April 23, 2007 10:33PM
Just a quick note...

With the new version of the MXO software, version 2.0 (still in beta) you have a Proc Amp that you can load color bars and adjust them...and a BLUE ONLY switch to really get the bars just right.

I hooked this up to my Dell 2405, adjusted it, loaded the same movie clip on both the Laptop/MXO/Dell and the G5/Kona LH/PVM-14L5 and I saw pretty much an identical image. I mean, CLOSE. As close as I was getting with the Apple 23", which wasn't quite SPOT on, but close enough that I had to look VERY close (actually, step back) to tell the difference.

The Dells....IMHO...are good to go with the MXO.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Re: Matrox MXO and Dell 2405
April 23, 2007 11:45PM
Thanks Shane, I saw that software at NAB and it looked like it was really easy to use as well.
I hate to buy from dell but I also like having some extra money to spend on food.
How's your knee?

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
April 23, 2007 11:48PM
Oh, did I complain to you about my "conference knee?" Hee. I met so many people.

Yes, the Proc Amp allows you to adjust the bars and that Blue Only gun is amazing. I remember the Matrox guys showed it to Larry Jordan and he was amazed. Heck, I was amazed...as were a lot of people.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
April 24, 2007 12:15AM
Oh, did I complain to you about my "conference knee?" Hee. I met so many people.
You were complaining? I got it on Tape I hope they put it in the Supermeet DVD.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
April 24, 2007 12:59AM
That's right....I was at the CalDigit table and you had a video camera...I forgot.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
April 24, 2007 11:23AM
Shane,

The real question is would you color correct a show with the MXO/Dell setup on a regular basis?

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
April 25, 2007 12:48AM
If I didn't have the HD CRT...yes, I would. It is that close....VERY close.

As long as you get the look you want, and the show is within legal limits, you are good to go. And this monitor shows me the looks I like to produce. The thing you have to take into consideration is that the image you see in the color correction bay is something you'll never see again. By the time the show airs, it has been thru a bit of compression, and by the time it hits home televisions, it looks even worse. But, the reds will look red (iffin the TVs aren't whack) and blues blue. As long as you see the red you want to see, and the blue, and the show is legal, then you are good to go.

IMHO. I am an elitist, but not THAT much of one. And the MXO with an Apple or Dell display get you very close. Close enough for me to trust. But, as I said, I have a PVM14L5...HD CRT, that I use. If I didn't have that, I'd use the MXO/Apple or Dell options. And I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
April 25, 2007 07:52AM
Great. Good to know for the future!

Thanks Shane.

-CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
April 25, 2007 12:39PM
The Dell 2405 or the current rev which is the 2407 has the distinct advantage of component video connector (and composite and a USB hub and a card reader) built into the monitor. If you like matching socks go with the more expensive Apple monitor. If you want functionality along with good color go with the Dell.

The *blue only* switch idea is as old as the hills but it still works as do a lot of old technologies.

-Andrew
April 25, 2007 12:51PM
BLUE ONLY may be as "old as the hills," but it still works and works well. Why change something because it is old? OH, you didn't say to change it. OK, just stating that it ain't broke so it doesn't matter how old it is.

Yes, the Dells have Component in...and yes, I have gone from my AJA LH to the component in, but it didn't look good. The monitor lacks the proper controls for adjusting the image...hue, chroma, brightness, contrast. YOu can adjust RGB only...not good for adjusting a color grading monitor.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
April 25, 2007 01:01PM
I was mentioning the additional functionality of the Dell, in general, to the Apple monitor -- not so much for a specific application towards connecting the MXO in a way other than DVI.

One probably wouldn't go along for too long without finding the component input useful. The same could be said about the composite input or the S-video input. I was indicating these features for those considering a monitor purchase and have an irrational misplaced hatred towards an inanimate object like a corporation such as Dell.

Video gear is generally way over-priced in relation to equipment in other business sectors. It's nice to know when there is a really good deal to be had and the Dell 2407 is one of them.
April 27, 2007 07:40PM
Shane do you think if you were to calibrate your dell with something like spyder pro 2 then come off the compenant off of your kona lh that it would be as good as matrox with dell, i have the same dell moniter and am trying to decide what to get for monitering and mayber also converting my hdv into pro res
April 27, 2007 08:30PM
Shane do you think if you were to calibrate your dell with something like spyder pro 2 then come off the compenant off of your kona lh that it would be as good as matrox with dell

No...I don't think you will. I didn't think to balance the Dell with the Spyder...but the issue you have is the monitors main GAMMA. The Matrox adjusts the native gamma to a video gamma. The Kona LH doesn't...and the monitor settings don't allow you to adjust Chroma, Hue, brightness and contrast...all the things you need to adjust to get proper color bars. Plus, no BLUE ONLY gun, which aids in this process tremendously.

If you have the Kona, get an HD LCD. If you don't, then the Matrox with Apple or Dell would be viable. But this is mainly for the lower end markets. High end always should go with True HD monitors.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
April 27, 2007 08:46PM
huh i will have to look at the specs for the spyder but i thought that is does ajust all the stuff you listed i know for sure it does the gamma, and when you say if have a kona get a hd lcd do you mean like a pro on with sdi or do you mean like a sharp aquas lcd or panasonic plasma with sdi or hdmi input on it cause panasonic list there new one now as reference for studio work but have not played with them or know anyone that has since so new.
April 27, 2007 08:55PM
I didn't get too much into the Spyder...My buddy came in with it and set things up. Seemed to do things automatically. I didn't notice if it had all those options.

By Kona and Pro LCD, I mean one meant as a production monitor. Not an LCD consumer TV like the plasma and Aquios...and via HD SDI or even component...not HDMI.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
April 27, 2007 09:21PM
have you checked out the hd link by black magic design seems to be pretty similer to mxo was wondering if you have seen anything on it reason is i need to moniter and also have input so thinking of getting decklink extreme for input and using hd link to moniter seems like good cost effect way at 1000 for decklink and 500 for hd link what do you think or recmend i want to go from hdv on my xh a1 into pro res and moniter for color
April 27, 2007 10:32PM
Punctuation and spelling check, please. Your post is nearly impossible to read.

www.derekmok.com
April 27, 2007 10:56PM
I tried the Decklink HD LINK and the AJA HDP both connected to the DELL and to an ACD. Both produced a nice image. Decent...but not color correctable. Again, I could not adjust bars...and that is crucial. This is why this release of the ew MXO drivers is so major. Before I couldn't balance the monitor properly so I didn't really trust the MXO. It came close, but the image was slightly greenish. So I thought it was sharp, great for client monitoring and for monitoring HDV, but not for crucial color correction. Same with the HD link...sharp image, but not on par with my HD monitor.
Now that the MXO can adjust to bars, I feel more confident.

I'd love for the HD link or DHP to do this as well, give a solution to those with the AJA and decklink cards. But I don' think they are quite there yet. I might just as well be wrong, as I haven't tested them recently. So don't rely solely on me for information on this front.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
May 03, 2007 01:07AM
So i read your review on your site and it says you used the spyder 2 pro with mxo and acd to get a picture about the same as your Sony PVM-14L5. So what setup do you think would be better then for monitering and color correcting, a decklink extreme with Sony PVM-14L5 and with this will also be able to injest stuff like hdv to something like pro ress or dvpro hd to have better work flow, or a mxo with dell or acd with spyder pro 2. Both setups are about same at around 2 thousand so which would you recomend and are all the outputs hot on mxo meaning you can moniter on dvi, analog, and sdi at same time.
May 03, 2007 01:29AM
So i read your review on your site and it says you used the spyder 2 pro with mxo and acd to get a picture about the same as your Sony PVM-14L5.

Close to the image on my PVM-14L5. Close. The Apple monitor was greenish at first. The Spyder 2 made it better, but not spot on. With the new drivers from Matrox, with the ability to adjust the colors with the proc amp and blue only setting...it got closer. But again, not spot on.

So what setup do you think would be better then for monitering and color correcting, a decklink extreme with Sony PVM-14L5...or a mxo with dell or acd with spyder pro 2. Both setups are about same at around 2 thousand

First off, the Decklink and PVM14L5 is the better combination. But, finding a 14L5 will be a bit tricky, as that monitor was discontinued a year ago. Second...the Decklink PVM combination isn't $2k. The Decklink is $1000, and the PVM-14L5 is $1500...with the HD SDI input card like the model I have is another $1500. You could monitor Component, but that isn't the best signal you could get. But, without the HD SDI option, you are at $2500. If you can find the monitor. Again, that would be the better option.

If you can't find a 14L5, then you are looking at HD LCD options, and they start at about $3500 for a decent HD LCD.

And with the new MXO software, you don't need the Spyder Pro.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
May 03, 2007 01:40AM
ok didn't know about the cost of the board and since the moniter is so much with the hdsdi board do you think i would be better off with the new jvc 24 inch lcd moniter with hdsdi, have you heard or played with these at all and how do you think the mxo with either dell or acd compares to getting the jvc DT-V24L1D, granted it is close to 5 thousand but almost double the screen for 1500 more. and you never said if all the outputs on mxo or hot like can hook up a source to each one and work
May 03, 2007 02:34AM
do you think i would be better off with the new jvc 24 inch lcd moniter with hdsdi, have you heard or played with these at all

I looked at them at NAB. They and the Panasonic 1700W, eCinema 24fx and the Sony 2450 all looked good. Of course I didn't have them all side by side. Wish I coulda..

how do you think the mxo with either dell or acd compares to getting the jvc DT-V24L1D

I have no doubt in my mind that the JVC is better. It was designed for this.

The MXO outputs DVI to an ACD, as well as HD SDI, component and composite. The MXO connected to my 14L5 gave the exact same image as my Kona LH connected to the same monitor.

A capture card and broadcast quality HD LCD will produce a better image than the MXO/ACD combination. That isn't Matrox's market. They aren't aiming to compete with AJA or Decklink and high end HD monitors. They are aiming their sites at the people on a budget. People who cannot afford $1000-$2000 for a capture card, and another $4000 for an HD LCD. The MXO/ACD is a LOW COST ALTERNATIVE to this. Getting you CLOSE to what you get with high end stuff. Close enough.

If you have the dough, get the high end option.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics