I need info / advice re: digitizing from Beta SP deck, also ripping DVDs

Posted by ana 
ana
I need info / advice re: digitizing from Beta SP deck, also ripping DVDs
April 29, 2007 03:17AM
I'm cutting a project with sources in various media formats ... my problem today is: Beta SP. I have access to a Sony deck for playback but I'm sure there's not a FW jack .. I assume it has the usual outputs: BNC, XLR and a remote out ( for TC). I read thru the manual for help but its pretty dry and I like detailed schematics best. It was a little light on details.

I'm hoping someone can advise me on what equipment I need to digitize (w TC) into a G5 dual PowerMac and maybe give me some details on setting it up?

I own a Canopus analog converter box .. will that help?

Also, any advice on cheap to moderately priced mixers? The FCP User manual mentions something called an audio "matchbox"? Any advice on which is better &/or cheaper?

Also, we will be ingesting from commercial DVDs (with permission) ... I recently learned that even tho its possible to ingest straight into FCP ... I would get better quality by "ripping" the media from the disk. I know what ripping is, I just have no clue where to get an app or info re: a procedure for that.

Any (and all) advice will be gratefully accepted.

thank you, thank you, thank you ....
Re: I need info / advice re: digitizing from Beta SP deck, also ripping DVDs
April 29, 2007 03:24AM
you will NEED your canopus device (via s-vid) to do this, you MAY also need a blackburst generator - though i im not sure, as ive only gone OUT to beta SP this way - not in FROM...

as far as legal dvd ripping, if its a commercial dvd you'll need something like mac the ripper to remove macrovision (et al) then mpegstreamclip to get it to something fcp can see - search the forum of faq for "dvd" im sure you'll find the info...
April 29, 2007 02:59PM
<<Also, any advice on cheap to moderately priced mixers?>>

try musiciansfriend.com, can find mixers VERY inexpensive, careful tho, it's like going into a candy store.

<<Also, we will be ingesting from commercial DVDs >>

just finished a DV project and could not extract from a commercial DVD, so, ran Svideo through my converter, with a de-interlace filter (Nattress Film fx), and it looked great.

Cameron Young
April 29, 2007 05:59PM
Yeah, use S-Video connection for the video for sure, and you will need an audio mixer to quiet down the audio. It will be wayyy too loud without one.

And then you can even get deck control from USB on the Mac to the RS-422 Remote port on the Beta SP deck using two items (a RS-422 cable with one end being a round serial connector, and a Keyspan converter box):

1 [www.keyspan.com]

2 [www.bhphotovideo.com]

And then you create a new Deck Control template in FCP based on the Sony RS-422 template. It totally works but do a test capture and compare timecode. You will probably have to make an OFFSET of up to seven or eight frames! Good luck.

-Christopher
April 29, 2007 06:12PM
<<<And then you can even get deck control from USB on the Mac to the RS-422 Remote port on the Beta SP deck using two items (a RS-422 cable with one end being a round serial connector, and a Keyspan converter box): >>>

If you don't need deck control--if you have one or two simple captures, don't bother with the deck control, just hit play on the deck and Capture Now with an Uncontrolled Device in Final Cut.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics