TRANSFER PROBLEMS WITH AUDIO--HELP!!

Posted by davidblumenfeld 
TRANSFER PROBLEMS WITH AUDIO--HELP!!
April 29, 2007 02:52PM
I'm trying to put some footage from FCP sequence onto tape. It looks and sounds good on my moniter as I record it. However, when I play back the tape, there are periodic gaps in the audio...Any ideas??

David
Re: TRANSFER PROBLEMS WITH AUDIO--HELP!!
April 29, 2007 03:07PM
Do an Audio Mixdown before outputting to tape. That solves most audio-dropout problems. If not, check to make sure you don't have MP3s or mixed sample rates in your timeline, and also make sure none of your audio is too hot.

www.derekmok.com
April 29, 2007 03:41PM
How do I do an Audio Mixdown??
April 29, 2007 03:46PM
I see some of the music I put in the timeline is a .wav file at 44.1KHz 16 bit and the regular audio is at 48KHz!!!
April 29, 2007 04:00PM
sorry...new at this...how do i Mixdown??
April 29, 2007 04:22PM
Audio Mixdown is OPTION-APPLE-R. It's basically an audio render.

Usually 44.1kHz audio clips should be fine in a 48kHz timeline once you Mixdown. However, if the problem doesn't go away, try opening that clip in QuickTime Player, export as 48kHz, recut the new 48kHz copy in the timeline and see if the problem goes away.

www.derekmok.com
April 29, 2007 04:54PM
Still has the problem...I'll try opening in qt player now...thanks.
April 29, 2007 05:10PM
tried putting the piece into quicktime...still getting those gaps...Some of the clips were converted from PAL to NTSC via Compresser...wondering if that could be it...or else the problem seems to be occuring when `I have voice running with the music track which is a .wav track at 44.1, while the voiceover is 48...any other ideas?
April 29, 2007 05:36PM
<<<FCP sequence onto tape. It looks and sounds good on my moniter as I record it.>>>

Since the easy ones didn't work, we need to find out a bit more.

What kind of tape? If you take the tape machine out of the loop and just play your timeline directly into the tape machine monitor, is it still bad at the tape machine monitor?

When you go off to tape, the computer monitor isn't supposed to look OK. You're supposed to set View, External Video, All Frames, and the computer system may be out of audio lip sync when you do that, but the tape should be OK. Final Cut can make your computer screens look perfect or the tape, not both.

Does the damage always happen in the same place every time? If you lay off the same short piece four times, is the hole always in the same place?

Do you get the Spinning Beach Ball Of Death?

Koz
April 29, 2007 07:33PM
"I have voice running with the music track which is a .wav track at 44.1, while the voiceover is 48..."

shouldn't be a problem

"any other ideas?"

maybe a weird sequence corruption
copy all in your sequence, paste into a new sequence,
do the audio mixdown

Derek said "Audio Mixdown is OPTION-APPLE-R. It's basically an audio render."
i'll add that as a render operation it can be found under the Sequence Menu > Render Only

also, trashing your prefs may help.
read this: [www.lafcpug.org]

nick
April 30, 2007 01:09PM
I did a quicktime export of the whole movie and ran it with qt player and NO GAPS...I'm thinking it may be in the camera I am capturing with...I'll try capturing another way tomorrow...thanks for all the help..
April 30, 2007 01:30PM
<<<I'm thinking it may be in the camera I am capturing with>>>

Or, the show is too complicated to play live out to the camera from the raw timeline. Export the timeline as a Self-Contained QuickTime movie (no generation loss), load that in FinalCut instead of the original movie and I bet that plays fine.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics