PID Number?

Posted by Adam Duplay 
PID Number?
May 02, 2007 03:49PM
Hello everyone,

I cross-posted this in DVDSP forum, but its not getting a lot of action.

Does anyone know what a PID number is in relation to DVD encoding?

Thank you,
Adam Duplay
Re: PID Number?
May 03, 2007 03:47PM
PID or Process Identification is assigned to everything running on your UNIX (OSX) machine. One of the ways to halt a run-away program if it doesn't respond to the mouse is to open a terminal and kill the process ID manually. Most Mac people will hate this, but it does work and it's one of the uses of the PID.

The only way you would ever get a PID error is if you found something very wrong on your machine. The fact that it happens in DVDSP I think isn't important. This is a system-level error.

Unless, of course, you have a "borrowed" version of DVDSP.......

If we assume it's real, I wouid run, do not walk to where you put your OSX System Install CD, start the machine from it, (hold C while starting) and run Disk Utilities, Repair Disk and Repair Permissions on the System Hard Drive. I bet the repair process finds errors.

Then restart the machine normally.

Koz
May 03, 2007 06:46PM
Thanks Koz for posting back.

Of course my software is legal, and actually the PID is not in refrence to Unix or my OS.

PID number has come up in our attempt to meet the specificiations of an obsure HD projector, which requires PID number of the final mpg transport stream to be 49 - apparently the PID of .mts files spit out by compressor is 110.

For the life of me, and despite my research, I cannot find any way to change the PID number of an .mts file created with compressor/DVDSP. As far as I can tell, this may just be a limitiation of the "pro-sumer" DVDSP compression structure.

Adam
May 04, 2007 04:08PM
The question is, how did you get Compressor to create a Transport Stream file? It is my all too painful experience that it won't. We do those in a TMPGEnc license we own on a PC.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics