Online Editing Competition

Posted by Jude Cotter 
Online Editing Competition
May 03, 2007 04:11AM
Um. Not an ONLINE competition, an editing comp where you can download the video from the internet. Modest Mouse and Apple are running a comp to make a new music video for their latest song.

Even if you're not interested in entering, this would be a great opportunity for people to get some good footage to play with, especially for multiclip stuff, I imagine, since there seems to be lots of different angels to download.

More info here : [www.modestmousemusic.com]

Re: Online Editing Competition
May 03, 2007 05:23AM
Footage looks fantastic (at least the first frame!) - why on earth would they not provide direct download links? I can't get around it - anyone?

I'm gonna have a go - the kitchen needs an iMac winking smiley

And I quite like Modest Mouse - haven't heard the song yet....
May 03, 2007 05:35AM
[blenderartists.org]

direct links there - scroll down a bit.

Competition for US residents only. Bastards. Apple screws Australia again....sad smiley

[www.bestfilmoncampus.com]

Another one there too....
May 03, 2007 05:53AM
And the rest of the world...

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
May 03, 2007 11:14AM
I have no time to edit this, but I'm curious about the way they've structured the downloads.

Could you tell me what's the total of the downloads in MBs?

Also, is the Apple Intermediate Codec that they're using a good codec as far as quality goes?

They ask for a DVD file for delivery or a MiniDV cassette. What is the quality requirement?

Thanks for your help.
May 03, 2007 09:59PM
The downloads are very large. Some over one gig. So best not to attempt this on a pay-per-mb account.

The point is, if you're starting out or have some techniques you want to mess with, here is some professionally shot footage to have a play with, free.

I agree that it sucks that outside US can't enter. But whatcha gonna do? They can't lie in the sun at our beaches watching the kangaroos fishing for whiting, so it sort of evens out in the long run. tongue sticking out smiley

May 04, 2007 01:34AM
Don't forget the good beer too winking smiley
May 05, 2007 06:25PM
I'm a veritable n00b to greenscreen (and multiclip, which I've used, but not in a 12-cam situation like this), and downloaded this footage to play around with.

I'm having reasonable luck keying the background, but what's with the +'s on the backdrop? I understand what they're for, but how do you get rid of them? Frame-by-frame matte? Yikes.
May 06, 2007 02:18AM
"I understand what they're for, but how do you get rid of them?"

if you know what they're for, you can probably guess how to get rid of them smiling smiley
(And just so you know, i'm only guessing this myself)

they're tracking markers, so you can move your added bg in relation to the fg if you want to.
to explain it very simplistically, you "pin" the bg to the markers.
so to get rid of them, you would "pin" a small garbage matte, (or maybe a green patch?) to them
THIS TOOL IS NOT AVAILABLE IN FCP.
it CAN be if you buy some tracking plugins.
google Lyric & CHV to find those. (look in the lafcpug store, pretty sure CHV is there)
Shake would also do it very well, i imagine.

nick
May 06, 2007 09:08AM
I'd guessed the same thing that you'd guessed -- a dozen little garbage mattes. But then I was seeing them go behind the heads of the actors, and I thought... there must be some other way. If you tried to garbage matte around their heads, you'd get fuzzy edges. That can't be right.

I did some rough keying in FCP yesterday, and they seem to (inexplicably) key out with the background.

My plan is to cut the whole thing in FCP with it's rudimentary keying tools, then export two quicktimes -- one of the band on the greenscreen, one of the background... and composite them in shake or Motion. I don't see going far enough with this to warrant purchasing special keying software, but we shall see...
May 06, 2007 11:10AM
"Competition for US residents only. Bastards. Apple screws Australia again....sad smiley "

I'm an Australian living in California, I haven't checked out the competition but if the prize is an iMac I'm not interested, however, if you'd like to enter this competition for a chance to win I'd be happy to submit it for you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics