Quickest means of creating a DVD from a HDV sequence?

Posted by infinitechaos 
Quickest means of creating a DVD from a HDV sequence?
May 03, 2007 01:03PM
I need to render my HDV sequence of 40 minutes into a playable dvd. What settings work best for FCP to kick out a quicktime movie which then I can burn to a dvd?

Thank You,
InfiniteChaos
Re: Quickest means of creating a DVD from a HDV sequence?
May 03, 2007 03:09PM
Quicktime Movie, same settings is generally the fastest option as there's no transcoding going on,
just data transfer.

trouble is HDV has to do a lot of "Preparing" (cant remember what FCP calls it) before you can export.

it's the fault of HDV,s mpeg compression.
no way around that, i think.

some say there's quality issues, when the HDV is then compressed to MPEG in compressor.
but for a bash copy of rushes, it'd fine

nick
May 03, 2007 03:15PM
The fastest way is to play it from the timeline out to a stand-alone DVD burner. Real time, no prep, no zippo. If you have a FireWire burner, you don't even need the analog step in the middle.

Koz
May 03, 2007 03:48PM
well, there has been less than zero foresight on this project.
we don't have a stand alone dvd burner unfortunately.
so I made a quicktime movie and now it's in compressor.

we shot at a popular food chain location and they just wanna hear what goes on in the scene, doesn't have to be the flashiest dvd around.

thanks guys!
May 03, 2007 05:38PM
Just because I haven't been a pain in the butt in a long time, anybody know what happens if you drop an HDV QuickTime into iDVD? That might be far faster than trying to wrestle with DVDSP. The show is under 60 minutes, too, so it should look pretty good.

Koz
May 03, 2007 06:20PM
it's taken almost 4 hours to compress.
my macbook is less than a year old, has intel chips, is this normal?
i just checked and i'm under an hour, so i don't wanna abort now.

is it gonna be a nightmare in dvdsp?
May 03, 2007 06:27PM
That sounds about right. Welcome to HDV to SD. Now if you were going HDV to HD DVD then its faster casue its a simple transcode. So...you got your long conform from FCP and your long encode in DVDSP. Don't panic, just go out and watch the NBA playoffs.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 03, 2007 09:15PM
or buy a DVD recorder!

nick
May 04, 2007 12:11AM
If you output a QT movie, then open a new 4:3 DV25 sequence, import the HDV QT movie, drop it into the DV25 sequence and output that as a QT movie, that'll pop into iDVD quicker. I've done exactly that and I don't remember it being all THAT time consuming.

The fastest way would be to rent a Matrox MXO (to play out as DV25 from the HDV timeline, which I'm assured it will do) and a DVD burner if you're going to be doing dailies.
May 04, 2007 09:56PM
Export as a self contained movie, drop it into iDVD 6 and select anamorphic, it'll do the rest. 40 minute show will take 45 minutes to make after you've exported the show.

Kevin
May 04, 2007 10:44PM
do you still need to use "Anamorphicizer" in iDVD if you are using files from FCP?

[homepage.mac.com]

nick
May 04, 2007 10:55PM
Yes, if the material is anamorphic. No, if it's native widescreen, i.e. HDV.

All the best,

Tom
May 08, 2007 05:01AM
I use the Canopus ADVC 110. It uses firewire in from the computer (as you play your FCP timeline in real time). The only negative is that it uses RCA cables to run out into your VCR or DVD recorder. As you may or may not know RCA cables subtract 6 DB of volume. So you may want to render a loudness maximizer (plugin) to your audio before making dubs onto DVD or VHS.
May 08, 2007 05:09AM
wouldn't a VHS deck have either AGC or some manual level control?

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics