Can't see video in an Avid Meridien Clip with codecs installed.

Posted by lavaweb 
Can't see video in an Avid Meridien Clip with codecs installed.
May 06, 2007 10:28AM
Hey all, any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's my issue. i have two computers described below, both have many avid codecs on them i'll list those below too. Neithe of them can show a clip that was exported out of an Avid even with the codecs installed. The Clip's details say that it's codec is the Avid Meridien Compressed, Integer (Big Endian), it's dimensions are 720X486 and it says a channel count of 2

When i try to show this clip in FCP or in QT, all I see is a white screen.

Any ideas??? i need to get this into FCP so i can export it to make DVD's really soon.

Thank you again for your help. And my system specs are as follows

System 1
Mac Pro 2.6Ghz, 3 gigs ram, 250gb HD
Mac OSX 10.4.9
FCP 5.1.4

System 2
Mac Book Pro 2.33 Ghz, 2 gigs ram,
Mac OSX 10.4.9
FCP Express HD 3.5.1

Codecs installed on both systems
avidav1xCodec.component
avidavd1Codec.component
avidavdjCodec.component
avidavdnCodec.component
avidavdvCodec.component
avidavpkCodec.component
avidavuiCodec.component

Thanks again for the help.

Mac Pro Mac OS X (10.4.9) 2.6 Ghz, 3 Gig of Ram, 250gb Hard drive
Re: Can't see video in an Avid Meridien Clip with codecs installed.
May 06, 2007 01:23PM
Good luck on that one! I have followed all the posts on this topic, and working with Avid media doesn't seem to be possible. Avid is very proprietary. For a couple of clips, I have converted to QuickTime files and transferred that way. Others here will chime in with more knowledgeable explanations. I have read about installing Avid codecs in QT, but I don't recall the succes rate.

Would like to know about this myself, as there are Avids at my workplace and FCP at home.

Cameron Young
May 06, 2007 03:36PM
No, it's a pain in the neck.

I think you got a longer component list than the one we got.

We finally got the Avid People to play live through the building SDI video routing system to a Final Cut live capture. Wrestling with the codecs looks like a grand idea, but we had all manner of problems with it.

By the way, this all apparently changes depending on whether your Avid is Apple or PC based. I think we used to be able to transfer files from the Apple machines, but then we got the upgraded PC machines and everything went into the toilet.

Koz
May 06, 2007 06:29PM
The current Avid codecs won't run with Intel Macs, force them to work with Rosetta. That's as least what I know.

Andreas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics