La Cie spinup on FCP/Mac OSX shut down

Posted by Jvasey 
La Cie spinup on FCP/Mac OSX shut down
May 07, 2007 12:48PM
I have used a number of La Cie D2 drives with Final Cut Pro and my Mac Pro with generally a good experience to report.

However, I have noticed that on some of the D2 drives, when I unmount them from the desktop, some exhibit a certain kind of behavior that I will question (see my notes below). I wanted to find out if this is "normal" or if in fact the drive shouldn't be doing this...and hopefully those reading who have used La Cie drives will be able to report back on their experiences. I have experienced this on an old Mac G4 OSX 10.3.9 as well as my new Mac Pro 10.4.8

I quit FCP and I eject the La Cie icon from the desktop, the icon disappears and the drive spins down. When I go to shut down the computer, just as the computer is about to say good night the La Cie drive will come back to life by SPINNING BACK UP...and THEN shutting down.

I wanted to find out from other FCP users if this is "normal" behavior? Or if not, how have others corrected it or diagnosed it?

Many thanks,

John
Re: La Cie spinup on FCP/Mac OSX shut down
May 07, 2007 01:15PM
Sometimes there is a supervisory query that goes out on shutdown and the drive will repond to that. We make it a point to turn drives off after we spin them down.

We have one drive that doesn't have a power switch. It spins up if you shuffle across the rug just right or drink a Starbucks non-fat latte. That one we unplug.

Koz
May 07, 2007 02:55PM
LaCies also used to have a habbit of hanging the finder at shutdown when ejected first.

Most people know my feeling on them.

To shut down I would rip them (carefully) from the Mac

Open the window

Throw them out into the street to fend for themselves the selfish little goits...

For those unfamiliar with British slang see 2nd entry for Giot: [www.urbandictionary.com]

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
May 08, 2007 04:54AM
I had a Lacie Bigger Disk Extreme that died and I had to re-online a project. The editor guy didn't have very kind things to say about Lacie.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics