Step back OS point upgrade?

Posted by jusrus 
Step back OS point upgrade?
May 08, 2007 08:28AM
Has anyone here ever had to step back a point under Tiger?

A mate needs to go back from 10.4.9 -> 10.4.8 because ProTools isn't working at all.

The best I've come up with is an archive and install, and start again.

He's had a few problems, so it went back to the shop - they installed 10.4.6, then upgraded him to 10.4.9. I've given him the combo updater for 10.4.8 so that part is under control. We just need to get it back to 10.4.6 I guess...

Any advice appreciated.

JR.
Re: Step back OS point upgrade?
May 08, 2007 11:20AM
<<<ProTools isn't working at all. >>>

What did ProTools have to say about that?

<<<10.4.9 -> 10.4.8 ...10.4.6...>>>

I don't see upgrades like that killing off ProTools. I can understand QuickTime upgrades doing something like that.

Which ProTools version?

Koz
May 08, 2007 08:01PM
Yeah, ProTools is a fickle mistress.

LE, 7.3.1 (latest).

ProTools isn't qualified under 10.4.9 yet - though it hasn't been a problem for many others, it is here, and we can only presume that 10.4.9 is the issue.
May 08, 2007 10:08PM
You may be right that blowing everything away and starting over may be necessary. I don't know any programmer who worries about stability issues if you downgrade. It's just assumed you would never, ever do that. That's why downgrading QuickTimes was such a big deal. They wiped out a bunch of machines and people threatened to firebomb Cupertino if they didn't do something.

You could very easily make yourself a chronically unstable machine.

Koz
May 09, 2007 04:56AM
Yeah, no argument there Koz.

All good - he wiped and started from scratch, and now is happily on 10.4.8.

Kinda makes you wonder if there should be some redundency built into OS and Quicktime updates....

I reckon what's going to be really interesting is how the PPC line gets looked after in the future, when they're focus will obviously be intel...

JR.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics