uncompressed avi movie output...not outputting right

Posted by rjoe11 
uncompressed avi movie output...not outputting right
May 17, 2007 11:37AM
I've been trying to output an AVI movie out of FCP 5.1.4, using export/quicktime conversion. Once it's done outputting, i play the new avi file out in quicktime to check it but it's only exported 1min, 15 secs, etc...the actual length of the movie I'm outputing is 35 mins. I've done it a few times and it's still this same result...I dont' understand it cause it's taking like 2 hours each time to output and the avi movies that's created is 50 - 60 GB big so they should be the full 35 mins. Any help on this would be great. thanks.
Re: uncompressed avi movie output...not outputting right
May 17, 2007 12:16PM
What are you starting with?

Assume a regular NTSC size movie.

1 min 15 sec comes out to 75 seconds. About a meg per frame, put down three, carry seven...I get around 2G.

If you're compressing a HiDef show, we need to know a lot more.

Koz
May 17, 2007 01:20PM
The project is 720x480, standard def. I've got 4 different timelines to export, each are about 35 to 40 mins in length. It's just a corporate video shot on miniDV. The AVI outputs I have are definitely coming out 'messed' cause for:

53.78GB got me 59 seconds of video
60.38GB got me 13 seconds of video

....so this makes no sense to me. I'm exporting thru usb 2.0 onto an external drive as well.

The client requested an uncompressed avi file, which I assume they want be able to use you in their PC enviroment to edit or compress in (they do web streaming), so this is the only reason i'm exporting an AVI cause usually i would just export an uncompressed quicktime.... Is there an alternative to this?

rj
May 17, 2007 03:25PM
<<<The client requested an uncompressed avi file, which I assume they want be able to use you in their PC>>>

Totally. That's how we do it. Only we get normal filesizes.

I just laid off a ten second segment of bars and tone from my FCP 5.0.4 DV timeline. I did it as an AVI with no compression and 48/16/stereo sound. I got a 200.9M file. There are ways to compress video that do no, as in zero, damage, so I put that down to the slightly smaller than expected filesize.

Try doing what I did. Start with a perfectly clean, new DV timeline and dump ten seconds of bars and tone onto the timeline from the Effects tab, Video Generators. Export as AVI.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics