OT : Nice broadband speed test

Posted by Jude Cotter 
OT : Nice broadband speed test
May 18, 2007 04:45AM
Not at all on FCP topic, but this is a really nice speed test, which compares you to your own ISP average, your country average and the world average.

I know some of you will enjoy this one.

[www.speedtest.net]

I got 81% - meaning my connection is faster than 81% of connections in the world, which, frankly, surprised me.

Re: OT : Nice broadband speed test
May 18, 2007 08:18AM
Speedtest is very cool. Beat ya! 94% global / 98% UK :-)

Martin Baker
[www.digital-heaven.co.uk]
Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps
May 18, 2007 08:30AM
98% Global 97% US. My "best" is 28,112kbps.

It's FCP releated when I'm dealing with FTPing large files to/from clients.
May 18, 2007 10:27AM
I got similar results to Jude -- only 81 per cent global, 63 per cent in the U.S. I guess Martin and Craig stand head-and-shoulder above us mere mortals.

www.derekmok.com
May 18, 2007 12:29PM
78% Global...and "69 DUDE!" for country rank.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
May 18, 2007 02:28PM

85% and 78%, respectively... I didn't think things here were nearly that fast!
May 18, 2007 05:31PM

I'm surprised too - I've just moved to Optus ADSL2+, which I understand to be the fastest possible domestic internet connection available in Australia - not bad.

88% global
82% country

Though I did do this test on a Saturday morning - would that make a difference?

And yes, I agree its within the scope of this forum - upload speed was why I moved ISPs.

I'm surprised Australia is so far up the chain considering geographical distance and constant complaints our broadband is behind that of the rest of the world.
May 18, 2007 05:40PM

Where are these percentages?

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 18, 2007 05:46PM
Oh, found it. Yikes

78% global
69% country

Well that sucks.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 18, 2007 05:47PM
Click that thing that says Compare with the rest of the world or something like that on the right side.
May 18, 2007 05:54PM
You see I need that download speed. It makes up for my slow editing. It's kinda like handicap in golf. The snail mail is really bad here so I have to download packages too. I'm trying to teach my mom to ftp cookies to me.

True story. I was watching a clip a client posted via a web link and I shot him an email saying it looked amazing. Full screen size and very few artifacts. Turns out I was looking at a full size DVCAM file while it was progressively downloading . . . 25Mbps!
May 18, 2007 06:00PM
EU and Asian countries are going to beat up on US big time. We are so far behind. Damn FCC!

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 18, 2007 09:24PM
Hey Jus - that's interesting - my speeds were more like 4k down and .. uh let me do another one..

Which is less than half of your results, and yet you only got 7% better than me.

I was surprised at how high it was too - I'm on adsl 2 as well, but people who come here from places like Korea (at local Unis) I'm told are absolutely scathing about the speed of our broadband.

I wonder how many small chinese/russian village landline connections are being counted in the results?

May 18, 2007 11:12PM
Hmm indeed interesting. Are you with Optus? Latency seems a bit high for mine, and surely you aren't 'about' (I presume that's what the symbol means?) 50 miles from your exchange?!?! You're in Perth, not Albany right?

It was interesting when we went around the world last year. The best speeds I got anywhere was actually at my parents house, halfway between Paris and Geneva in the south of France. Absolutely blistering. New York was also excellent, LA nowhere near as good.

Having said all that, I reformatted our old iBook for a kitchen terminal yesterday (!) - got the 10.4.9 update via software update (don't care about this box) in 1.2 minutes. Seriously. That's over a mb a second.

We're doing OK I think. Speed at home in real terms is the same or better as I experienced anywhere on my trip.

JR.
May 19, 2007 12:53AM
Yeah I'm like 7 kms from Perth. Most of the posts seem to be either 50 mi or 100 mi thoough. So 'mi' must mean something else.

May 19, 2007 01:11PM

I am happy with my connection
May 19, 2007 01:40PM
I'm doing 350 kbps with AT&T DSL. I'm jumping ship to Comcast who promise 6 Mbps. I'm sure actual speed will be far less. Who's using a 6 Mbps cable modem? What are the actual speeds? I'm 17% in the US. Sheesh!
May 19, 2007 08:53PM
Jusrus.

Thats interesting you got those numbers.
Australia has the slowest internet connections in the Western world by far, its 200 times slower on average than Sweden which is the fastest.

I know there are some suppliers trying to convince us they have solved this problem somehow but its all BS. Hopefully we will get a decent Internet connection here in the near furure.

Im am not confident this will happen though since this task is up to Telstra, and to think they can build a $4.5 Billion broadband network across a whole continent is a bit too optimistic considering they dont even have the combined brainpower or competence to install a modem.

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
May 19, 2007 09:07PM
Johan,

No arguments there. I've just moved to Optus from Netspace. From everything I've read I'm on the fastest internet plan going in Australia, so I better like it here, cause there's no going any faster.

It would seem that what I've got is decent? $60 a month when you bundle your phone is fine.....
May 19, 2007 09:12PM
And the winner is Craig, with the world's fastest connection in this thread! Can anyone go 99% global? Any Swedish FCp'ers out there?

May 20, 2007 09:26PM
I got 82% global.

That cant be right?
I'm confused.

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
May 20, 2007 09:54PM
Indeed strange Johan, but my real world experiences would suggest that Australia isn't that far behind in real terms if you're on a high quality ADSL2+ connection.
May 21, 2007 12:47AM
I wonder if it's faster from a wired machine rather then a powerbook over 80211g?

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
May 21, 2007 09:37PM
Hmm, Johan - I wonder if the data is updating all the time, as people do tests - which should mean that if I do another test my results will be less... lets see .. nope - still 81% global and 80% Australia. And still at around 4k kb/s down and 800 kb/s up.

It's probably quantum. Everything weird and mathematical is.

May 26, 2007 02:33AM
Check this one - this group is also still running FCP 2.0.. need I say more?

May 26, 2007 02:34AM
By the way - it rated 2% nationally and 1% globally.

May 26, 2007 03:50AM
dialup? heh
May 27, 2007 01:58PM
This sucks.

29th globally
18th in country

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics