screen shot preferences...

Posted by Frank Meek 
screen shot preferences...
May 21, 2007 11:52AM
Hi there,
I know that Shift>Cmd>3, (or 4 to enclose), are the methods to create a "screenshot." This useful tool I have used often but my "screenshot" is always a PDF file. While this has worked well for some applications, I would like to be able to make this picture a TIFF, PNG or JPEG file as necessary for my desired purposes. How do I set these preferences?
Thanks.

FE Meek
Re: screen shot preferences...
May 21, 2007 12:02PM
Just open it and do a Save As

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 21, 2007 12:10PM
Thanks Michael, often the most simple and obvious answers are right there...disguised by my own mind.

FE Meek
May 21, 2007 12:13PM
If your OS is Pre-Tiger (e.g. 10.3.x) the command is Export to be able to change file type.

Scott
May 21, 2007 02:15PM
and to make it stick:

apple i on the pdf,
Open With > choose Preview
then just under that, you can "use this app to open all docs like this"
by hitting the "Change All" button.

nick
May 21, 2007 05:44PM
Something you all forgot: the 'control' key ;-)

Press cmd-crtl-shift-4 and make your selection or press 'space bar' to select a window or use '3' instead of '4', open Preview and press cmd-n. Then save to whatever format you want.

Hope that helps
Andreas

P.S.
You can even use some shell script to that automatically
May 21, 2007 05:53PM
Frank was right. It is only Cmd-Shift-3 or 4 for making a selection. The Control key is not needed.

All the best,

Tom
May 21, 2007 06:02PM
Tom Wolsky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

Frank was right. It is only Cmd-Shift-3 or 4 for making a selection. The Control key is not needed.

Tom,

Sorry to contradict.
The additional 'control' key puts the screen shot to the clipboard and not to a file. Cmd-n in Preview creates a new file from the clipboard. So doing it my way saves some steps - just try it ;-)

Regards
Andreas
May 21, 2007 06:09PM
Something I forgot to say:
Using the 'control' key allows to paste your screen shot nearly anywhere, PhotoShop (with cmd-n & OK), TextEditor, Word - you name it ;-)

Andreas
May 21, 2007 06:11PM
But that wasn't the question. He's not having a problem getting into PDF. It's PDF as soon as he makes it. He wants to get it into a bitmap graphics format. All he was to do is open the file and save as in whatever format he wants.

I'm curious about this, because there is a way to set the preference I'm pretty sure, but I can't remember what it is.

My screen shots are generating PICT files in 10.4.9.

All the best,

Tom
May 21, 2007 06:40PM

But that wasn't the question. He's not having a problem getting into PDF. It's PDF as soon as he makes it. He wants to get it into a bitmap graphics format. All he was to do is open the file and save as in whatever format he wants.
Tom maybe I've not been clear enough. 'cmd-crtl-shift-4' or other combinations for screen shots using the 'control' key do NOT save the screen shot to a special format but just put it to the clipboard.
From there you can paste it into 'anything' and/or save it to 'anything' if the selected app allows to paste clipboard picture content. Have a look at this. It's just a 'cmd-crtl-shift-4', then doing a selection, then a cmd-n in QT Player, a cmd-v, a cmd-s (or a cmd-e) and here we go. It's easy and straight forward with most of the apps on the Mac. And as said with Preview you get a new file with cmd-n and just do a 'save as' instead of doing the screen shot, select it in Finder, open it in Preview and then do a 'save as'

I'm curious about this, because there is a way to set the preference I'm pretty sure, but I can't remember what it is. My screen shots are generating PICT files in 10.4.9.
Just play with the control key and the apps - it saves a lot of time ;-)

All the best,
Tom
Same
Andreas
May 21, 2007 06:40PM
When I do CMD-SHFT-4 (or 3) mine saves to the desktop as a .png.

It'd be great to know how to change that pref.
May 21, 2007 06:53PM
Not even Grab has prefs. By default screen grabs in Tiger are saved as PNGs so have no idea how Tom's is a pict. Only way to change file format default would be with the Terminal in the Utility folder.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 21, 2007 06:56PM
? but it?s basically a one-line terminal command:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleScreenShotFormat imageFormat

Replace imageFormat with one of JPEG, TIFF, PNG, or PICT to change the format of the screenshot

From me: screen shot

Hope this helps
Andreas
May 21, 2007 07:10PM
Again fellows,

Where is the problem to press the 'control' key - not enough fingers available ? ;-), too much 'windows like' ? ;-) or what? ;-)
Using the 'control' key additionally you can go anywhere any time and don't have your desktop cluttered with those 'Picture X' files.

Andreas

P.S.
Snapz Pro can be handy as well
May 21, 2007 08:25PM
can you set screen shots to be higher res?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
May 21, 2007 08:31PM
You need snaps pro which will do 300dpi

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 21, 2007 08:33PM
If you're running Tiger the command is slightly different to the NSGlobalDOmain one.

Open your terminal by going to Applications > Utilitites > Terminal. Don't get freaked out. Nothing will explode.

Type the following

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type tif

Press return.

Quit the Terminal and restart your computer.

Screenshots should now be tiffs by default.

May 21, 2007 09:19PM
Thanks Jude

Here is the two-click app to make this this happen.

Regards
Andreas
May 21, 2007 09:21PM
Wow - you're fast Andreas! Nice one smiling smiley

May 21, 2007 09:25PM
Thanks for that!

I try to do my best - as always ;-)

Andreas
May 21, 2007 09:29PM
i just downloaded and tested it and it works great. Good for people who get a bit nervous when typing code into the terminal - and also a lot faster!

You've got to love this place, I tell ya - ask a question, get a custom designed application.

May 21, 2007 09:37PM
Andreas Kiel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Again fellows,
>
> Where is the problem to press the 'control' key -
> not enough fingers available ? ;-)

Just speaking for myself, I have only two fingers and a thumb on each hand.
May 21, 2007 09:52PM
TimJBD
Just speaking for myself, I have only two fingers and a thumb on each hand.
Seriously really sorry if I did hurt you in any way - there was no intention to hurt anyone it was just to make a joke - obviously a bad joke. It was meant to move something in the brains of the involved people without being offending.

Really sorry for that, I should have known
Andreas
May 21, 2007 09:58PM
That worked great Andreas. Thanks

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 21, 2007 10:17PM
Thanks Mike,

That's why LAFCPUG is the greatest - all members do have a good portion of experience, humor, quiet manner and wisdom ;-)

Andreas
May 21, 2007 10:37PM
Hey Andreas - remember that render alert script you made the other day - is there a way to get that to work for Maya as well? Or would it require a new version? Would it work just to change " tell application process "Final Cut Pro" to tell application process "Maya"? What about After effects?

May 22, 2007 01:42AM
Astounding. The simplest keyboard commands command the longest thread in a week!! Gotta love it.

Question-- is SnapZPro the champ in commercial screen capture? What do folks use? (Let's keep this going until we reach China.)

Seriously, for tutorial motion captures, I'd love to know.

I can tell you this: the 29.00 MacCapture ain't it.

- Loren
Today's FCP 4 / 5 keytip:
Fast scan your clips or timeline with Control-F12 !
Go slower with lower F keys.
Go reverse with F6 down to F2

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
May 22, 2007 01:47AM
I dont kow anyone who doesnt do FCS tuts who doesnt use Snapz Pro. It is sort of the defacto app for anyone needing screen captures.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 22, 2007 01:56AM
Also check out iShowU. Nice because it doens;t require you to resave in the format of your choice after capture, so faster.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics