Converting 93.93 to 93.97 fps

Posted by A.Bejar 
Converting 93.93 to 93.97 fps
May 25, 2007 11:07AM
Hello,

I'm posting this question for the second time with some updates. I'm having trouble reading captured video files which show up in the finder as complete Quicktime files but are only partially read in the viewer. The Quicktime Files say they are 93.93 fps. I don't know how this happened but must have recorded them that way by mistake. I exported the Quicktime files as Quick Time Movie at 23.97 fsp and re-imported into FCP. Now I can view them. My questions are: Is the quality the same when I export and re-import this way? Also, is there an easier way of doing this, re: capturing at the correct frame rate to begin with?

Thanks,

Alfredo
PS Fottage was originally shot on dvx100A, captured with sony dsr 25 and I'm editing on FCP 5.01
Re: Converting 93.93 to 93.97 fps
May 25, 2007 05:51PM
I see nothing but bad times ahead for this project. There is a super good chance you have damaged video files. I don't think 93.93 frames per second exists on any machine short of a high-speed film camera. And you didn't start out that way.

You managed to work around the damage by converting in QuickTime, which is a valid thing to do, but keep in mind you are working with damged files and this cloud will not go away as you produce the show.

The two conventional numbers are 23.976 which is rounded to 23.98. There is no 23.97.

Anyway you can push this project onto someone else?

I predict [holding fingers to forehead] you will be back here later complaining about sound issues.

Koz
May 26, 2007 02:50PM
"Anyway you can push this project onto someone else?

I predict [holding fingers to forehead] you will be back here later complaining about sound issues."

What makes you think the NEXT person wouldn't come here with the same questions? I know I would.

"My questions are: Is the quality the same when I export and re-import this way? Also, is there an easier way of doing this, re: capturing at the correct frame rate to begin with?"

It sounds like you've made it better by enabling you to edit with them, however, I would try to get my hands on the original tapes, for sure.
May 26, 2007 09:45PM
<<<I don't know how this happened but must have recorded them that way by mistake.>>>

A few personal pronouns would be good. I must have recorded them, or they must have recorded them?

In the former case, I would totally try capturing variations until you get a good capture. In the latter case, beg to be allowed to recapture the work yourself. People occasionally have troubles editing with clips captured and produced normally. You are starting Monday morning, 8 AM with damaged clips.

Will the original clips open or convert in Compressor? That's the only way I know to batch process.

Koz
May 27, 2007 09:43AM
I can now see the files. It seems the problem was not with the capture since no matter how many times I captured, with deck and camera, the same consistet problem occurred. I then deleted the imported files. I restarted the computer and re-imported the files. Still not sure what happened. Hopefully it's just a bug in FCP. As far as there being no 29.97, I'm aware of the frame rates for DF and non-DF and how they work. The user manual, however, mentions that 29.97 is a "common frame rate" for SD NTSC. That is also the number that pops up in the Browser Properties, under Vid Rate.

Alfredo
May 27, 2007 01:02PM
<<<As far as there being no 29.97>>>

I never said there was no 29.97. That's the framerate (rounded) for standard US NTSC television. It's the reason that Drop Frame Time Code was designed.

What I actually said was:

<<<There is no 23.97. >>>

...because there isn't.

<<<Hopefully it's just a bug in FCP.>>>

A program bug is when many hundred people all complain about the exact same thing and any one of them can create the problem any time they want. Can you make your Final Cut break again? Can you find the other 973 people?

It's certainly possible to have problems with Final Cut. There are any number of problems caused by crossed program versions, unstable Mac systems, or inexperienced users.

And yes, there are Final Cut bugs, but not as many as you think, and these odd problems always happen with only one machine--two on the outside. By the time three or more complaints show up with the same symptom, we start to pay attention. Over ten, then we may have a serious problem given that most Final Cut users do not post on this forum.

Koz
May 28, 2007 09:51AM
You are right. There is no 93.97. I meant to post 29.93 and 29.97 fps. Seems I had a bout of dyslexia. My apologies for the confusion.

alf
May 29, 2007 12:43PM
Caffeine depriviation.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics