Airplane noise

Posted by Outdated Mac user 
Airplane noise
June 01, 2007 12:12AM
My FCP 3 manual says that the high pass filter is effective for removing low frequency noise like airplane or some machine noise. I have tried this filter by dialing in the lowest frequencies and putting the Q at halfway and working my way up the scale, but the noise does not diminish, and actually increases. I do not have Soundtrack Pro to deal with this. Is there a better FCP filter I can use, or am I using this filter the wrong way?What settings do you recommend?
Re: Airplane noise
June 01, 2007 01:51AM
<<<low frequency noise >>>

If the filter as instructed didn't help, then you might not have low frequency noise.

These filters are effective with noises like you get when you're in a carpeted living room with a lot of furniture and a metrobus goes by outside. Very muffled bowling ball sounds. If you were outside when a jet went over--or worse yet a small propeller-driven plane, then you may have hit one of the four problems that can kill a sound track.

Can you post a short aiff clip of some of the damage?

I would be using the graphic equalizer, only I don't remember where it is and I won't know until tomorrow. It's in the filters, but it's something like it's by Apple and not Final Cut, or something. I'm being fuzzy on purpose. I know there is one if you want to poke around.

If you do find it, apply it and start reducing the filters at the low end (20, 30, 50, 75) and keep going further and further up listening at each pass to see what's happening. If you have computer speakers, you won't hear anything until around 100 or 200. This might be a good place to wear headphones if you have a good pair.

Koz
June 01, 2007 02:56AM
Thanks for the info. I am going to try and use the graphic equalizer and do the incremented adjustments systematically to see how they work.
June 01, 2007 05:54AM
I like the hum remover. Adjusting the frequency gets you in the ballpark and then you can experiment with which octaves gives you the most removal without thinning everything out. Usually just selecting 2nd and 3rd octave is enough to make it tolerable until you can go back and pay serious attention.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
June 01, 2007 11:07AM
<<<I like the hum remover.>>>

It may not be hum and rumble. We'll know more after OMU posts the sound clip.

Koz
June 01, 2007 04:00PM
I actually was able to muffle this enough to my liking by dropping the lows about 10 db EQ combined with using the high pass filter. I have not tried the hum remover, but will do so to see how it works.
June 01, 2007 05:24PM
Cool.

The hum removal tool assumes certain things:

First, it's different between Europe and the US--so you can try both variations. It's a very tight filter so as not to damage any other sound, so it's possible to have the filter work OK at the beginning of a clip but not at the end assuming airplane noise. That interference will change over time and "fall out" of the filter.

Actual, real Hum interference does not change and it's relatively easy to get rid of.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics