Source Tape problem...

Posted by Frank Meek 
Source Tape problem...
June 04, 2007 01:24PM
Hi there
I have the client you've all had. You know the one...the one who tells you at the first meeting that all the production values were first rate and that the tapes are all perfect. Well, other than the 32 K audio, the absent gray chart or SMPTE bars, the absent 30 to 60 second pre-roll or post-roll, the focus hunt on key shots and that one B-roll tape, so essential to the story, (in this case, the underwater segment), shot, if anyone could possibly believe it, in LP mode DV.
I have attempted to transfer this to my working format, DVCAM, with no luck on three decks, Sony, Panny and JVC. It will transfer...sort of, on two, but displays all of the playback-speed-difference artifacts and is unusable. The JVC deck won't even try...it simply says LP, You Idiot! and stops.
I have never before attempted to capture this speed as I have never actually seen it before. But, I need the footage, which is by its nature, time , dates and budget, not able to be re-shot. Is there hope here? If so, what is an answer?
Thanks,

FE Meek
Re: Source Tape problem...
June 04, 2007 01:37PM
Will the tapes play on anything into a monitor? Did you try FireWire to FireWire transfer to another DV machine?

Can the client be convinced to get you the original camcorder--like under pain of not having a show?

Koz
June 04, 2007 02:28PM
The "production company," such as it is (or was), is no longer in the vicinity, which frankly I can understand, if this is an example of its work. And the owner, according to the client, has had a "breakdown." Well, you get the drift here and the camera is also both unknown and unavailable.

To your more technical questions, yes, it will play on the Sony DSR 1800 to the monitor with no artifacts but will not record same without artifacts. Also, the one VTR which will play it well, the Sony DSR-1800, is not equiped with the IEEE 1394 protocol.

I have not yet attempted the firewire transfer on other decks or cameras, but I suppose that might be an answer. My question to you, Koz, is have you done such a transfer from "LP" to another DV speed, (I'd even settle for MiniDV here), or to ANY other format?

FE Meek
June 04, 2007 04:58PM
I have done FireWire/FireWire transfers between two DV compliant decks, yes. It's as simple as plugging in the cable, pressing Play on one and Record on the other. It figures out the directon automatically.

You need to know that the timecode does not follow you, so in that sense it's not a "clone copy."

The data stream is the same between SP and LP. The outside world can't tell.

This process is widely regarded as the Universal Desperation Method when the tapes will not capture cleanly any other way.

If the tapes play into a monitor, this process may be your show right there.

Koz
June 04, 2007 05:36PM
Thanks, Koz, I'm on Firewire Boulevard. I'll let you know how it goes when I hit an off ramp.

FE Meek
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics