HDV sequence "export using QT conversion" sync problems

Posted by reisengart 
HDV sequence "export using QT conversion" sync problems
June 05, 2007 01:17PM
Using FCP 5.1.4 on a G5 dual 2.7 GHz tower...OS 10.4.9, QT player 7.1.5 -

We're cutting 3-5 min sequences in HDV 1080i60 format, then generating previews for the producers small enough to post on our ftp site... target file size 10 - 15mb.

I usually use the H264 codec (also tried sorenson 3, but h264 seems better and smaller) at the frame size 480x270. When I've tried "export using QT conversion" through FCP, using any compression type, everything's out of sync. When I use Compressor, sync is fine, but any FCP text files get weirdly stretched.

The only way I've gotten clean exports is using the current sequence settings, but then of course the files are too large. Is this an HDV pitfall, or a FCP pitfall? Does the new version of FCP deal with HDV better?

I appreciate any feedback - thanks!
Re: HDV sequence "export using QT conversion" sync problems
June 05, 2007 05:03PM
Just a quick note.

What happens if you export the work as a Self Contained QuickTime Movie (formerly "Final Cut Movie"winking smiley, reload and export/compress/process that instead of the original timeline?

You can get into trouble if Final Cut has to keep track of too many things at once. Or, you could be shocked to find that any export fails....

Koz
June 06, 2007 12:47AM
Don't export using compressor out of FCP, too many issues doing that. Export a self contained movie including audio and video and pull that into compressor for reducing the size. Can't figure out the wierd frame size issue. I believe you can reset the size to fit the video in compressor.

I've pulled previews straight into iDVD 6 as HDV files and sent those for review, just select anamorphic and iDVD does the rest.

good luck,

kevin
June 24, 2007 09:25PM
I'm having similar problems. I'm putting together a series of 5-10min clips in 720p30. in FCP my audio and video sync perfectly, but even if i do an Export QT Movie, the audio attached to the resulting clip steadily lags further and further out of sync.

any suggestions?

thanks,
mark
June 29, 2007 07:38PM
Any resolution to this?

I'm not having sync difficulties but size issues.

First, I exported using Compressor H264 and got a huge file. Couldn't find in the presets an opportunity to resize.

Then I read this string of posts and gave up on Compressor.

I then exported "using QT conversion", specified a custom size of 640 x 480, and it resulted in another enormous file ignoring the size parameter and outputting 1440 x 1080.

How do I resize in HDV export so that it actually gives me the smaller size I've requested?

Jamie
June 30, 2007 01:12AM
Maybe you still had the HDV codec selected in the QT conversion settings? That
would maintain the normal hdv frame size. If you want to do QT conversion with
the h264 codec, select that from the "settings" button, and I usually check
automatic for data rate and key frame rate, I think that helps keep the file
size down. The select the "size" button and either the 640x480 option or
"custom" from that drop-down menu, and plug in your numbers.
Hope that helps -
June 30, 2007 02:12AM
Yup, I had the HDV codec selected. Obviously changing the size (should be 640 x 360) had no effect on it.

My work around was to take the result and re-compress it with QuickTime player. That worked.

Next time, I'll try what you suggested. I appreciate the post, thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics