Capture Aborts in 3 Seconds

Posted by Dan Espy 
Capture Aborts in 3 Seconds
June 05, 2007 10:59PM
I had a problem with capturing 24p footage. I seem to have resolved this issue with the help of this forum. I realized that the footage was shot in 24p normal. I am now using the easy setup for DV NTSC. Now when I attempt to re-capture my footage the capture process stops after 3 seconds. An alert box comes up and reads - "Capture encountered a problem reading the data on your source tape. This could be due to a problem with the tape. Capture has been aborted and your clip has been saved". I know that the tapes are fine. I am using a Panasonic AJ-SD955 deck, connected with firewire to my iMAC. I use FCP 5.1.4. Please help! The footage was shot using a SDX900 camera (DVCPRO 50 at 24p).
Re: Capture Aborts in 3 Seconds
June 05, 2007 11:54PM
<<<resolved this issue with the help of this forum. >>>

Right there is where you point to the other thread so we can come up to steam without dragging the information out of you.

How did we solve it last time?

Do you get the Spinning Beach Ball Of Death? Does it stop after three seconds no matter where on the tape you start? How full are your hard drives?

Koz
June 06, 2007 12:20AM
Koz

I found out how to resolve my initial problem from a response from JustinB called 24p DV Basics. Re: Vid Rate.
I did not get the Spinning Beach Ball Of Death - It stops no matter what tape I use or where on the tape I start - my hard drive has over 500 gigs available.

I am using a rental deck and need to return it in a timely manner, the tape play fine through the log and capture window.
June 06, 2007 01:10AM
<<<my hard drive has over 500 gigs available.>>>

And your System Drive? Everybody always forgets about that one.

I assume a drive that big is an external FireWire drive. What happens if you disconnect everything but the deck--everything--and capture a minute or two to the System Drive?

Are you running OSX 10.4.9? Could this be the trouble:

[www.lafcpug.org]

Koz
June 06, 2007 08:39AM
Are you by chance using some kind of RS-422 keyspan device to control the deck?

I can't be 100% sure this relates to your problem, but we get this error message a lot when controlling panasonic decks with RS-422. I can't recall encountering it when using firewire for deck control, but then again I've never used the AJ-sD955 deck before either. In our case there is a miscommunication between the deck and FCP; FCP polls the deck during capture, misenterprets the answer from the deck, and returns the error message erranously.

I've got a small plug-in here that disables the deck polling that returns the error message. I believe the good people at Aja made it a good while back, and it works splendidly for us still. I don't know if it'll work for firewire deck control (if that's what you are using), but if you'd like to give it a try, just drop me an e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Geir.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics