pal to ntsc

Posted by simonw1 
pal to ntsc
June 07, 2007 08:28PM
Hi,
I'm looking into ways of converting DV PAL to NTSC.
I've read the recommended article by Anton Linecker. It seems clear and succinct.
There remain several concerns:

I'm running a single chip 876 power pc mac. So the "Traditional method" using a dv pal quicktime (exported from final cut 5 using quicktime compression, max quality....I hope that's the right starting point) put into compressor, took 420 minutes to convert one minute of pal to ntsc.
Then of course it runs 4% slower with the audio at a slightly lower pitch.
The article also said that the video quality of the result may suffer using this method. It seemed fine for a fairly static talking head. Whether or not there are potential issues with fast movement or colors I don't know.

The real issues I have, though, are with what the article calls "the slow-PAL method".
Step 1 launch cinema tools.
You then open the clip you want in the viewing and conform it to 29.97 fps.
Step 2 drag the file (I'm assuming the original file which has now been conformed to a new frame rate and runs slightly longer than previously - and not some new file that cinema tools was supposed to generate but didn't for me) into compressor's batch window and basically proceed as in the traditional method. Only this time you also click on the encoder tab and then the video settings button, followed by changing the frame rate menu to current (as it's supposed to have been conformed in cinema tools).
Then you submit the job. To my surprise (probably due to the already achieved frame rate conformity???) this process occurred in about 2 minutes - as opposed to 420 minutes with the traditional method!!! There must be something wrong. Surely.
Next is the last step of the process - adding a 3:2 cadence in a final cut ntsc sequence, followed by editing to tape.
Here the last problem arose - there was no image recorded to tape.
And even if there had been I don't own an ntsc monitor so checking all this out would in any case be difficult.
Does anybody have any constructive suggestions after ploughing through that catalogue of possible errors?

Thanks.
Re: pal to ntsc
June 07, 2007 09:30PM
Check out Graeme's Standards Conversion at www.nattress.com . I use it everyday.

Steve
June 07, 2007 10:55PM
First, we'll need one of these. This will take the video and audio out of a machine and convert it to television channel 3 so you can see and hear it on your TV. If you don't have a TV, a trip to Drug Emporium and $49 will fix that.

[www.radioshack.com]

The truly twisted will feed the channel 3 into an Elgato Hybrid television digizer, plug it into a USB port, and watch the work in EyeTV software on the computer screen. But I digress.

You need the show in the proper 3:2 and completely processed before you try to go through television standards conversion. Most converters scramble the video fields and you'll never make it later.

I would totally Render, Mix Down, and export the finished show as a self-contained QuickTime file before you try to convert. Many headaches avoided by doing that.

We know that Nattress is the reigning champ for speed versus image quality, but if you really want pain, you can do it in Compressor.

We have a really nice FAQ entry on this:

[www.lafcpug.org]

Happy converting.

Koz
June 08, 2007 09:11AM
Or just take it to a post house that can do it on the big dog professional gear. I pay about $3.00 a minute here, $75 minimum, plus sundries. At least you've got someone to shoot if things go awry, and can have it done again until it's perfect.

Clay
June 08, 2007 12:00PM
Agree with Steven - used the Nattress conversion in Africa - NTSC to PAL and PAL to NTSC - worked like a charm - (watch his video tutorial on how to do it correctly including picture scaling) it was fast and quality is outstanding -- and a bargain compared to getting a post house to do it for you. Andy
June 08, 2007 12:05PM
In my opinion, MPEG Streamclip does a passable job of standards conversion and it's fairly fast and cheap.
June 08, 2007 08:42PM
Nattress is the way to go - a beautiful output of recent shortfilms PAL to NTSC left one engineer agast that I hadn't used an Alchemist!

I can't recommend it highly enough. Well I can - but I don't get commission sad smiley

(G - if you are reading this - use ice on the head to reduce the swelling tongue sticking out smiley)

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 08, 2007 08:49PM
I can't recommend it highly enough. Well I can - but I don't get commission

Well lafcpug gets a commission so I will recommend it high enough. Buy it in the lafcpug store

[www.lafcpug.org]

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics