Editing HD wither laptop or tower

Posted by Andrew Stone 
Editing HD wither laptop or tower
June 11, 2007 05:52PM
Ultimately I figure I should be using a Mac Pro so I can eek out all the juice I can to run FCP, Motion and chew through HD material.

With the new MacBook Pros on the market, the new Apple ProRez 422 codec and solutions like the Matrox MXO have I now just dodged a bullet in HAVING to move to a tower? Or should I just bite it and get the Mac Pro with a proper RAID setup and a KONA card.

I know the simple solution is get both a new tower and a laptop and stop worrying.

Has anyone else gone down this path and have some suggestions?

**EDITED FOR BREVITY**
Re: Editing HD wither laptop or tower
June 12, 2007 12:47AM
If you need to be mobile, the MacBook Pro's are a decent solution.

If you're setting up a suite to work within, get a tower and all the power/RAM/storage options become available.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set Video Only In and Out with Control I or O !

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
June 12, 2007 02:05AM
ive done both mobile and desktop in the Gx world for years and they both have served invaluably well. (my G4 17" powerbook still chews at dvcproHD on a weekly basis without too many tears) couldnt have lived without either.

its not a matter of either/or but what you want to do and how you choose to sell yourself.

without doubt. the ability to edit AT a client site is a HUGE selling point. BUT not at the cost of fast encoding and burning when deadlines are at stake.

only you can decide the best path for you and your market.
June 12, 2007 10:00AM
A.S.,

I would say if you can afford it...get both. It's cool to edit on location but if the client wants it laid off & they don't have any gear, you have to go back to your studio anyway (or rent gear). I always thought of the laptop as an extension of the suite.

...my 2¢

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics