Capturing to quicktime on PC

Posted by nevins 
Capturing to quicktime on PC
June 12, 2007 02:13PM
Hi,
At work right now I work on a mac pro and deal with mainly dv and hdv, late last year we transitioned over from a PC using Vegas 7.

I want to be able to capture tapes while I edit and of course final cut doesn't allow that.
We still have our Vegas station free, so I would like to be able to capture with that, the problem is that I can't for the life of me find a software solution to be able to capture dv and hdv footage to the quicktime container on Windows.
I can capture DV to avi and it will work in final cut, or I can use compressor to convert it to quicktime(which isn't a desirable workflow) but HDV in vegas is captured as an m2t file which has no compatibility with final cut or compressor.

So I was wondering if anyone knows of a program for capturing DV & HDV on XP that will capture to the quicktime container. Or if you know of any other solutions that could help.

If not it looks like I will be setting up to capture 1 tape at a time at the end of the day on the mac pro before I leave for the night, until we eventually get our second mac pro.
Re: Capturing to quicktime on PC
June 12, 2007 02:58PM
Trying to capture and edit cross-platform is not a good idea. In my view, you're better off getting a second station, even if it's just a laptop or an older G5.

www.derekmok.com
June 12, 2007 03:06PM
In theory you *could* capture into Vegas and then output a TIFF sequence or a QT animation file and take that over to FCP...
June 12, 2007 04:54PM
What will the Vegas save videos in? If it will produce uncompressed AVIs, then that can be your interchange format. Uncompressed AVIs are excellent. It's when you try to compress them that the video turns to garbage.

We use uncompressed AVIs as the interchange format between our Final Cut machines and a special PC-based compressed tool.

Of course, they are uncompressed and very large. If you're used to either Windows Media or H.264, these videos will make your heart stop. One Meg per Frame.

Koz
June 12, 2007 04:55PM
Oops. You covered this already.

Sorry.

Koz
June 12, 2007 07:56PM
MPEG StreamClip WILL convert m2ts to ProRes 422 (and do it pretty quickly too.) - Don't know how good the transfer is technically, but I tried it and it works - The clips look good played from the timeline.

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics