OT - Widescreen on G4/400 Sawtooth tower?

Posted by jusrus 
OT - Widescreen on G4/400 Sawtooth tower?
June 21, 2007 08:29AM
Hi all,

I have a G4/400 tower with a gig of RAM sitting here. I've got a work experience kid next week, and figure I might use this as an oppotunity to get it going again.

So I want to get a budget LCD for it - VGA input obviously not a problem, but I'm not sure whether the graphics card on it (of which I'm not EXACTLY sure what it is!) will be able to do widescreen res? My initial research suggests not.

Has anyone tried widescreen on a legacy-ish Mac? Its funny, this machine runs Tiger and FCP3 fine! So figure the kid can do some capturing etc I have backing up.

And as a secondary question, has anyone upgraded a video card in these machines? Any suggestions?

Thanks...JR
Re: OT - Widescreen on G4/400 Sawtooth tower?
June 21, 2007 03:11PM
I believe that Sawtooth has a 2x AGP video card (possibly 4x) and there is only one video card available for that. The ATI 9800 Macintosh Edition. The problem is that they are not available anywhere right now and NO they can not do widescreen resolutions.

You would be better off spending your money on a used G5 system for a place to start.
And don't even think about using Final Cut Studio 2 on this machine!
June 21, 2007 08:18PM
JR... are you in Sydney? (sure 've asked this before)

i fittted my old sawtooth out with a Radeon9000 (i think) and was running a 20" ACD off it.
it's been put out to pasture for a while now
maybe we could work something out?

nick
June 21, 2007 08:34PM
OK. Turns out the G4 had an ATI Rage Pro 128 in it. Tried this morning - DVI no widescreen, but VGA no problems on a cheapie ASUS 20 inch WS.

So I'm off to buy a monitor.

I'm in Melbourne, BTW, Nick (I think we've been here before) winking smiley Thanks for the offer - after all, this is all about making use of redundent equipment!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics