FCP HD 4.5 Timecode trouble

Posted by or 
or
FCP HD 4.5 Timecode trouble
June 22, 2007 12:10PM
stupid question...

I've got a Dual 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4, with OSX 10.4.9, 1GB Ram, FCP HD 4.5. 2 internal HD's. I'm importing to my non-start-up disk, which has 102.5 GB avail. of 111.67GB. The start-up disk is same size and has 70GB avail. I export the captured footage to external LaCie drives and clear up space on my scratch disk.

I'm having trouble getting an import without timecode breaks (during import, the incoming movie randomly freezes, then jumps ahead when resuming "normal" import). During playback, the audio becomes out of sinc with the picture when it gets to the frozen portions of the video clips. I've been able to capture 10 second clips fine, but can't seem to capture much longer clips (it'd be really nice to capture longer clips). I've tried running through a number of the helps on [docs.info.apple.com].

I'm also disconnecting the external's from the computer when I import.

Any suggestions?
Re: FCP HD 4.5 Timecode trouble
June 22, 2007 12:44PM
> I'm importing to my non-start-up disk, which has 102.5 GB avail. of 111.67GB.

Bad. Don't capture to your system drive. Get a second internal drive, or an external.

You're also mixing Tiger (and possibly QuickTime 7?) with FCP4.5. That's a trouble combination.

I'd also look at the tape and make sure it wasn't shot in LP mode.

www.derekmok.com
or
June 22, 2007 12:56PM
Thanks.

I have 2 internals...one with my system stuff on it, and the other I import to, then export it to an external.

I've got QuickTime 7.1.6. Ignorant question re: QT 7 and FCP4.5...what's the "bad" deal with it? what would you recommend?
June 22, 2007 01:04PM
<<<I'm importing to my non-start-up disk>>>

He said he was capturing to his non System Disk.

Caffeine Deprevation.

I'm going with the version cross. QuickTime 7 and Tiger don't get along well with FCP 4.5 HD. Any way you can load Panther and drop back to QuickTime 6? I won't volunteer you to buy Final Cut 5, but that would be good.

Did you try that business with moving the spotlight folder or something like that?

Koz
or
June 22, 2007 01:20PM
Thanks Koz...

I'm been considering getting FCP 5/Studio. Another ignorant question...you know any good places to get the package, without me having an Intel chip? I currently have an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro graphics card. I'm looking at the studio specs at [www.apple.com], and I don't think my computer is currently up to speed - especially for some of the HD stuff...
June 22, 2007 01:36PM
Upgrade to 10.4.10. Its supposed to cure the problem of FCP 4.5 and older and 10.4.9 issues, most of which was dropped frames, but your TC problem is most likely related.

Michael Horton
-------------------
or
June 22, 2007 03:49PM
Michael,

Thanks...that seems to have solved the problem...the import appears to be going smoothly up to this point...
June 22, 2007 08:51PM
I'll update the FAQ on the 10.4.9 problem being solved by upgrading to 10.4.10.

or
June 23, 2007 09:54AM
Thanks for the help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics