QuickTime capture doesn't import into Final Cut

Posted by Tom Wolsky 
QuickTime capture doesn't import into Final Cut
June 24, 2007 04:43PM
I just did a little experiment capture DV from a camera using the QuickTime player. The device is recognized, the settings are on device native and the material captures correctly. Final Cut cannot import the file however. QT info for the captured file looks correct. The only disparity I can see is that the audio compressor is Little Endian, while other DV files I have are Big Endian. If I convert the file using the QT Pro player it will work in Final Cut without problem. Does anybody have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks.
Re: QuickTime capture doesn't import into Final Cut
June 24, 2007 08:25PM
This FCP 6 or has it always been this way? QT 7.1.6? You tried importing into FCE?

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 24, 2007 08:43PM
Doesn't work in FCE3.5 either. Using QT 7.1.6.
June 25, 2007 01:41AM
Doesn't work with FCP 5 or 5.1 either. Never worked...never meant to. QT capture is for quick captures for posting on the web or whatever...not meant for editing. If you want to capture footage for use in FCP, use FCP. It has this ability.

DOn't use iMovie, don't use QT, don't use another NLE.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 25, 2007 02:33AM
It's capturing in device native format. It's DV. And it's not even DV Stream. It's converted to a QuickTime DV file with separate audio track.

I can capture in iMovie or other NLEs and it will work in FCP. It will import the material into the open format application; the application that supposedly can take anything and just drop it into the open timeline, any format, any time. Unless of course it comes from QuickTime.

$1300 for a capture application seems a bit excessive.

I know I can use other, cheaper applications. What I what to know is why it doesn't work with Apple's own QuickTime application; what's preventing this material from working in Final Cut.
June 25, 2007 04:02AM
Got me Tom. This is pretty darn stupid that it won't work.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 25, 2007 11:21AM
Whenever I have a .mov file that will play in QTPro, but not in FCP, I Export using the highest settings 29.95 720x480 Best...

And then drop that new .mov file into FCP and it works.

In fact, i just did a project over the weekend where I had some old files originally made in media100 over 5 years ago, that QT plays fine because of the media100 transcorder file, but when dropped into FCP, causes FCP to Quit Unexpectedly.

Exporting the files out of QTPro as new .movs makes FCP happy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics