AUTO-SAVE??AUTO-SUCKS

Posted by James T 
AUTO-SAVE??AUTO-SUCKS
July 10, 2007 04:24PM
hey guys???& Jude,

So working in FCP 5.1.4 and have my auto save for every 10-mins. Now I have had FCP crash on me a few times over this week, and when I go to re-open my project I get an error "Project is from an older version" when I go to update the file, it is corrupted and will not open. And, my auto-save does not work properly (well, consistently) some hours it works every 10-mins (like it is set to) others it wont save for 3hrs.

I have trashed my prefs (according to the FAQ) but still no luck with the auto-save. Any Suggs?

thanks again,
J-

If at first you don't succeed, keep ****ing it up 'till it works!
Re: AUTO-SAVE??AUTO-SUCKS
July 10, 2007 07:09PM
same here.
Autosave in 5.14 is worse than ever, i think.

just gotta remember to save manualy.

nick
July 10, 2007 07:21PM
Thanks Nick,

Save Early, Save Often, and Save NOW!!!

July 10, 2007 07:22PM
On the flipside....

No issues with AutoSave whatsoever. And it has saved my butt more times that I care to admit.

FCP 5.1.4

So THPHTHPHTHPHTHPH! It works for me and it doesn't like you! Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
July 10, 2007 07:24PM
Good lookin out Shane...

...way to be there!

July 10, 2007 07:31PM
Yeah no issues here either - guess FCP thinks your an Avid editor with a lazy thumb...

There are pills you can get over the counter for the condition.

Ben

PS: check your system as your Mac should not be crashing several times a week - time for a proper maintenance run with DiskWarrior and/or Techtool and repairing disk permissions (using disk utility) and making sure you have enough space on all the HDDs and the System disk

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 10, 2007 07:34PM
PPS - If you are running on a MacBook or MacBookPro check you are cooling it enough, I have noticed when my MBP gets real hot it falls down more easily and crashes become a reality...

This also goes for your other hardware - check you have enough (clean) power going to everything and that it is all cooled properly.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 10, 2007 07:46PM
No mac book....dual 2.3 G5....it's not the mac that crashes it's FCP.

237gb left on the system HDD, shouldn't be a prob.

July 10, 2007 07:54PM
Soz James

When I said crashes I meant quitting unexpectantly from FCP et al...

Yeah you still need to check the system and temps on a Dual G5 - a hot room or lack of cool air circulating can cause all kinds of oddities with computer hardware.

It also happens at extremes of cold but then I guess you'd be dying of hypothermia and not able to type a response...

James?

James?

Are you there?

July 10, 2007 08:03PM
no worries....

Like I said and nick re-instated...

Save Early, Save Often, Save NOW!!!

July 10, 2007 08:15PM
Yeah I have a slight hook in my left hand thumb & forefinger from pressing Apple+s so often tongue sticking out smiley

July 10, 2007 08:34PM
I save after every operation 90 per cent of the time. Sometimes that gets me into trouble, but I'm always reminded of the poor benighted visual-arts-major girl in the lab at 3AM who had gone through 16 hours of logging, capturing, editing, effects, colour manipulation, and final lookthrough...and never saved once when the computer crashed right before she was learning how to export.

And I had to be the lab monitor to tell her that she was dead...because even Autosave never had a chance to kick in; there was no file name.

This is why FCP later implemented the "You haven't saved yet" warning.

I still don't rely on Autosave. I rely on my own system of manual backups every two to three hours. This has saved me many, many times -- such as when I make changes to a sequence and forget to preserve the previous cut, or when the client comes in after I leave and turns the file management upside down and then things start falling apart.

Still haven't nailed down the causes of some of the Autosave Vault failures, though.

www.derekmok.com
July 10, 2007 09:11PM
I sometimes get an alert that auto save can't find something. I forget what it is.

I've seen this since about v5 - and saw it the other day on v6.0.1 When that happens I repair my permissions and that usually fixes it, soooo - possibly the autosave is failing because it's lost track of the folder or something? Directory issue?

July 11, 2007 04:03AM
Autosave has NEVER worked...if the softwere accidentally quits as it does you are in trouble.
Derek insisted a long time ago save your work always always always. He'e right. Apple should look into this.
July 11, 2007 04:10AM
I don't think that's true, Phil. Auto save definitely has and does work. Most of the time. Some of the time it doesn't - I personally think it could be a permissions problem.

July 11, 2007 07:47AM
I haven't had a single issue with autosave on any of the FCP systems I have used. I would like to hear any solutions though as it may crop up one day...

Ben

July 11, 2007 09:48AM
Gotta agree with Ben and Jude. I've never relied on Autosave and had it turned off for the first three years of owning my own system. I've only started using it again recently. I've seen it fail on many stations over the years, but never on mine. Then again, I only need to access Autosave Vault on my own system once every year or so.

I'd recommend using Autosave, keeping a loose eye on it (open the Autosave Vault at the end of the session and check its activity), but also implementing the manual-backup system I mentioned. And develop the Ben King APPLE-S thumb-finger hook...save at least once every minute. The frequency of your saves should be directly proportional to how much work you're willing to do twice. Especially logging a batch list.

www.derekmok.com
July 11, 2007 10:12AM
Yeah - I do also have the semi-obsessive save thing going on. Not because I'm afraid of failure, it's just a habit. In fact sometimes when I am WRITING WITH A PEN I still hear in my head "apple-s". Bit sad really.

I think mine kicks in at about 15 minute intervals, unless I'm doing something crazy difficult to recreate.

July 11, 2007 10:41AM
Please note:

The "Ben King APPLE-S thumb-finger hooK®?" is a registered tradmark of KenBing®? Industries. All rights reserved. Patent Pending.

July 11, 2007 03:03PM
autosave is tempermental at the very least. i have mine set to every 15 min to a secon internal drive and it's hit or miss on crash. sometimes i'm golden, sometimes not. but why? why is this? so so basic a feature.

oh wait, we got Color. Cool. forget it. (heh)
fp
July 11, 2007 03:21PM
I am starting to worry that you guys need some maintenance on your systems!

The last time I had an unexpected quit in FCP was 2 weeks ago and was probably because I was running too many other processor and memory intensive apps at the same time.

Get the techs in! You should have a rare occasion to use the Autosave files and thats on the 'odd' crash or if you quit without saving like a total numpty!

Ben

PS If you fly me over I'll do it for you but I'm a bit busy 'til next month tongue sticking out smiley

July 11, 2007 03:22PM
[The "Ben King APPLE-S thumb-finger hooK®?" is a registered tradmark of KenBing®? Industries. All rights reserved. Patent Pending]

No, Ben, you can't patent your thumb or finger, only a significant improvement over prior art.

Trademark another issue, interesting idea. That you might get. But only for Apple computers. But of course you need to be actually selling thumb-forefinger packs to trademark it, the and the PTO will want two copies of your best edition of the work. So that leaves you fingerless.

Well, there's always the mouse... :-(

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Set a speed change with Command J !

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
July 11, 2007 03:44PM
Ah Loren, Loren, Loren...

Its not my actual thumb... its a robotic device that looks remarkably like my thumb and forfinger on my left hand in an easy to use hook shape ready for Apple+s repetitive bashing!

Crazy man thinking I'd cut off my finger & thumb! What will I use when I'm

making tea!

Coming soon!!!

The "Headstrap render-time-dilation hypnotizer thingy-bob®"
available for you and in multipacks for your clients/producer/director!

Only from KenBing®? Industries. Your online taste of madness due to excessive workload and strong coffee!

July 11, 2007 06:28PM
Autosave used to be disabled by Auto render being on (FCP 4.11)

i had a couple of crashes recently and yes, had to re-build some work.
auto save hadn't been working sad smiley

maybe i'll turn autorender off and see what happens.

but it;s just so intermittent.
autosave HAD been working ok before that

nick
July 11, 2007 07:22PM
Hey Nick can you do me a favour and do a permissions repair and see if that helps before you disable your autorender? You've been having some font problems too, no?

July 11, 2007 07:50PM
ok, ran Mac Janitor,
and then ran Repair Permissions in Disk Utility twice.

so don't ever say i don't do anything for you, Jude winking smiley

lets see how i go from now on.

thanks,
nick
July 12, 2007 02:57AM
Cool - I'm looking forward to hearing if it made any difference. Ta smiling smiley

July 15, 2007 08:05AM
no difference!

FCP just crashed after not auto-saving for and hour and twenty minutes sad smiley
i've now turned off auto-render,
let's see how we go.

(also some fonts still have a qoutes intead of spaces - yo might remember my other bit of weirdness)

nick
July 15, 2007 09:32PM
Aww dammit. I thought I had it cracked. Sorry Nick. Did you fix your fonts thing yet? Run diskwarrior/Macjanitor?

July 16, 2007 10:49AM

Did you fix your fonts thing yet?

Damn I totally forgot that old chestnut - corrupt fonts cause all kinds of problems!

Run a check with Font Book and remove the broken font files

or move all the extra installed fonts to another folder and test a few basic ones to see if they are causing issues.

Ben

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics