FEATURE FILM WORKFLOW - sony V1U - WEIGH IN HERE

Posted by putchfilms 
FEATURE FILM WORKFLOW - sony V1U - WEIGH IN HERE
July 12, 2007 11:04AM
After the success of Mojave Phone Booth, I am endeavoring to make
another under 40K movie (Route 30) this October. However, my camera
will be different. I shot MPB with the Z1, edited
native HDV, converted the 60i to 24P using DVmaker software, then
layed off to HDCAM and properly color corrected it from there.

I've moved to the V1U to take advantage of the true progressive
setting thereby avoiding the software conversion process that for
sure diminished the quality. (but it still looked damn good).

So here's the poll I have for you all.

To go from HDV 24P (V1U) and final mastering to HDCAM or D5 again,
what do you suggest for editing?

?edit native, then convert movie at end using an AJA codec that will
spit out to HDCAM?

?capture using Prores422 and get out of HDV from the start, then
layoff to HDCAM using prores? (i like this i think)

?hang in there and hope FCP supports the camera and creates a codec
for the 24P mode, then stay native?

My system is a dualie 2.7 with a Kona LH card, and I use SATA drives.

I've already gotten opininions from Adam Wilt, Larry Jordan, Philip Hodgetts, Jody Eldred, Brad Wright and Michael Horton which I will share once I cull some more opinions.

After dealing with HDV on the last movie, I wouldn't mind a
way out of it. But I'll go with the workflow that will give me the
best quality that I can get given the format.

Thanks a lot.

John Putch

www.putchfilms.com
Www.route30trilogy.com
Fatherandthebear.com
Re: FEATURE FILM WORKFLOW - sony V1U - WEIGH IN HERE
July 12, 2007 01:09PM
i;d check that progressive to see if it really is better than de-interlacing.

?capture using Prores422 and get out of HDV from the start, then
layoff to HDCAM using prores? (i like this i think)

then you'd better have LOTS more drive space.
prores is 6-8 times bigger than HDV
or more, i think

Points one & two seem contradictory:
"edit native, then convert"
"hope FCP supports the camera and creates a codec... then stay native?"

if any of that other advice comes from other forums,
how about posting some links.

nick
July 12, 2007 02:02PM
I would transcode to ProRes or DVCPro HD before I edit. I would never edit in HDV natively if I can find a way.

A couple TB for a feature is not a big deal in my mind - par for the course.

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
The New Way
July 12, 2007 08:07PM
Listen, if you are going to show this on the big screen, not broadcast, and you dont want to re-capture for an Offline/Online workflow, and you have a recent fast computer with more than 2 gigs of RAM, then I would stick to HDV. Its true that DVCPRO-HD is easier on the processor but that transcode will definitely take resolution away from your original footage. And on the big screen this is much more important.

In FCP 6 you can RENDER in ProRes HQ or Uncompressed but leave the raw HDV files... well, raw. You can even do your final color correction in a timeline like this, using the high color space when needed and leaving the original footage alone when needed. This workflow does the LEAST amount of damage to the resolution of your work.

If you must use an older G5 and FCP 5, then maybe DVCPRO-HD will keep you sane and give you the fewest hiccups.

- Christopher S. Johnson
July 12, 2007 09:23PM
....If you trust Apple, then going straight to ProRes422 is the way to go. I've been experimenting with HDV straight to Prores (not HQ) and it works great (from a firewire drive) and looks really good.... Then again, I'm always a sucker for everything Apple claims.

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
July 12, 2007 09:34PM
I think its a bit rough asking people for opinions and then effectively ignoring their advice by continuing to ask people for advice on the same topic over and over again. How many experts do you need to collect before you can release the findings? You've already gotten free advice from six of the top dv guys in the world - has that not been enough?

July 12, 2007 09:45PM
Easy sailor,

It was Mr. Horton's suggestion that I post this opinion gatherer here at LAFCPUG. I'm not sure I understand your tone. I'm not ignoring anybody.

The suggestions and opinions are great from everyone today and I appreciate them. Isn't that what a forum is for?

jp

www.putchfilms.com
Www.route30trilogy.com
Fatherandthebear.com
July 12, 2007 09:48PM
yes, quite.
thanks

www.putchfilms.com
Www.route30trilogy.com
Fatherandthebear.com
July 12, 2007 09:49PM
agreed

www.putchfilms.com
Www.route30trilogy.com
Fatherandthebear.com
Re: The New Way
July 12, 2007 09:50PM
thanks, good to know

www.putchfilms.com
Www.route30trilogy.com
Fatherandthebear.com
July 12, 2007 09:51PM
I'll definitely test this method along with all the others as well.

thanks.

www.putchfilms.com
Www.route30trilogy.com
Fatherandthebear.com
July 12, 2007 10:01PM
>>which I will share once I cull some more opinions. <<

And I'm sharing my opinion, too.

July 12, 2007 10:02PM
best not to reply to individual posts if it;s something as simple as an "agreed" or "good"
ads nothing to the thread but clutter

and now it;s time for youto post the other comments,
especially if you want a real thread going here.
July 12, 2007 10:11PM
Here ya go folks:

LARRY JORDAN:

Convert to ProRes 422 on capture and use ProRes for the rest of your process.

BRAD WRIGHT:

You might want consider going HDV 24p to Pro Res 4:2:2.  My feeling is that if you can capture out of the camera analog directly into the AJA HD device that does Pro Res via firewire 800, it will give you the best looking image.  However, the AJA device is $3k, but I think that because you would be in 4:2:2 color versus 3:1:1 in HDCAM, it should look better.

If I had the choice, this is what I would use:

1.  AJA HD external box to Pro Res 4:2:2
2.  MacBook Pro 17" screen for full HD monitoring (1920x1280 Resolution).
3.  SATA raid array via express 34 card slot.  (Firmtek SATA express 34 card and dual drive raid array or pick your favorite vendor here).
4.  Veescope Live to check all the color and video levels and view full screen HD capture.  (I'm biased here because I wrote it, of course).  The new version of Veescope Live has this full screen mode, which allows you to quickly fill the entire screen with video "Apple-F".  If you have any Green Screen shots, Veescope Live will do the live chroma keying.

What I haven't done is test the setup of the AJA external box and and a 17" MacBook Pro.  So alternatively, you could capture with HDVxDV and convert to Pro Res with HDVxDV, but you would be filtering the image through a 4:1:1 MPEG2, versus direct capture to Pro Res 4:2:2.  This would be fine for some shots if you couldn't bring the laptop and the AJA device along.  Heck, HDV didn't stop the "An Inconvenient Truth" from taking the Oscar.

MICHAEL HORTON:

What Brad said.

You might want to post this on our forum. You'll get a lot of good ideas.

[www.lafcpug.org]

ADAM WILT:

I'd go ProRes if I had the disk bandwidth for it, AIC otherwise. While HDV editing works well, renders are painful (for making eval tapes, playing out FireWire, and the like), and you'll still want to swap over to ProRes/AIC/uncompressed for your final render anyway. If you start off with the higher-quality timeline format, you'll have quicker intermediate renders, and you won't be wondering, "is that artifact there on the source clip, or was it created by this render?" 

If you want to use Cinema Tools to extract 24p, you'll need to go to ProRes (presumably; don't have FCS 2 yet, so I'm speculating), AIC, uncompressed, DVCPROHD, or other such codec anyway; CineTools refuses to work with long-GOP MPEG. 

DVFilm Maker (http://www.dvfilm.com/maker/) doesn't appear to have the same limitations, and furthermore it auto-detects pulldown cadence, which can really speed workflow up. I haven't used the current version which supports HDV, so I can't speak to its conversion speed or quality.

Good luck! Let us know which workflow you settle on and what issues/annoyances arise.

JODY ELDRED:

Hi John,

The other guys you're asking are way above my paygrade with regard to technical workflow solutions. I am honored that you include me among them.

I can tell you from a production perspective that if it was my own money (and it often is), I would positively find a better camera to shoot with. The V1U makes nice pictures but it is practically impossible to get shallow depth of field, and of course while it scans in true 24P, it records only 60i.
The zoom is too touchy to do subtle moves, and same applies to the focus control.

Consider renting an XDCAM HD, either an F350 or F330. They shoot true 24P, use larger 1/2" imagers, have "real" HD lenses that can achieve shallow depth of field, subtle zoom and focus controls, and offer far more control regarding color and latitude. My F350 is often indistinguishable from footage shot with my F900R.

The editing is a snap, with small file sizes (35 mbp/s or less), no log and capture required as you simple transfer over circled takes (or whatever shots you choose), ad this happens faster than real time (often x2).

The money you save in trying workarounds and other gymnastics in post would probably compensate for the additional camera rental cost, and you would be capturing a far, far better image than anything the V1U could do.

Even if the cost savings didn't equal out, on a feature film, shooting with the right tool is really more of a requirement than a luxury. Trim elsewhere. Don't scrimp on the singular tool for capturing your story.

Hope this helps,
Jody Eldred

PHILIP HODGETTS:

I would go to ProRes 422 from the start: either capture directly to it if you have an Intel machine with enough speed, *and* ProRes capture actually works on that system (some issues of dropped frames even on INtel seem to have arisen).

Failing real-time capture, I'd capture HDV native, then export to ProRes 422 and run through Cinema Tools to remove pulldown then you're set to work in a 23.976 timeline until it's time to output.

If the Kona can reverse pulldown from the component that would be the way to go. Right now we know that ProRes capture won't work on a PPC at all (according to Apple) and there are reports that even on Intel it's dropping frames during capture.

I'd probably capture via FireWire, convert to ProRes, then run through Cinema Tools to reverse telecine to 23.976 again.  That's the path that I know would work smiling smiley.

If you had an Octo MacPro I'd suggest trying the capture direct to ProRes, removing pulldown during capture (if that works).

Philip

ADAM WILT:

can i go out of the camera via firewire and set the capture setting in FCP to prores?

You'd have to check the FCP 6 docs, or try it out. I only have FCP 5.1.4, and even there, my main NLE is at 5.0.4 because I have a big show in mid-edit on it!

or do i go out component to my kona card?

You might even consider getting that $250 Blackmagic card that takes in HDMI, and capture that way. With any luck, the bmd drivers will allow capture to ProRes and do pulldown removal at the same time.

Cheers,
AJW

www.putchfilms.com
Www.route30trilogy.com
Fatherandthebear.com
July 12, 2007 10:14PM
HERE YA GO FOLKS!

LARRY JORDAN:

Convert to ProRes 422 on capture and use ProRes for the rest of your process.

BRAD WRIGHT:

You might want consider going HDV 24p to Pro Res 4:2:2.  My feeling is that if you can capture out of the camera analog directly into the AJA HD device that does Pro Res via firewire 800, it will give you the best looking image.  However, the AJA device is $3k, but I think that because you would be in 4:2:2 color versus 3:1:1 in HDCAM, it should look better.

If I had the choice, this is what I would use:

1.  AJA HD external box to Pro Res 4:2:2
2.  MacBook Pro 17" screen for full HD monitoring (1920x1280 Resolution).
3.  SATA raid array via express 34 card slot.  (Firmtek SATA express 34 card and dual drive raid array or pick your favorite vendor here).
4.  Veescope Live to check all the color and video levels and view full screen HD capture.  (I'm biased here because I wrote it, of course).  The new version of Veescope Live has this full screen mode, which allows you to quickly fill the entire screen with video "Apple-F".  If you have any Green Screen shots, Veescope Live will do the live chroma keying.

What I haven't done is test the setup of the AJA external box and and a 17" MacBook Pro.  So alternatively, you could capture with HDVxDV and convert to Pro Res with HDVxDV, but you would be filtering the image through a 4:1:1 MPEG2, versus direct capture to Pro Res 4:2:2.  This would be fine for some shots if you couldn't bring the laptop and the AJA device along.  Heck, HDV didn't stop the "An Inconvenient Truth" from taking the Oscar.

MICHAEL HORTON:

What Brad said.

You might want to post this on our forum. You'll get a lot of good ideas.

[www.lafcpug.org]

ADAM WILT:

I'd go ProRes if I had the disk bandwidth for it, AIC otherwise. While HDV editing works well, renders are painful (for making eval tapes, playing out FireWire, and the like), and you'll still want to swap over to ProRes/AIC/uncompressed for your final render anyway. If you start off with the higher-quality timeline format, you'll have quicker intermediate renders, and you won't be wondering, "is that artifact there on the source clip, or was it created by this render?" 

If you want to use Cinema Tools to extract 24p, you'll need to go to ProRes (presumably; don't have FCS 2 yet, so I'm speculating), AIC, uncompressed, DVCPROHD, or other such codec anyway; CineTools refuses to work with long-GOP MPEG. 

DVFilm Maker (http://www.dvfilm.com/maker/) doesn't appear to have the same limitations, and furthermore it auto-detects pulldown cadence, which can really speed workflow up. I haven't used the current version which supports HDV, so I can't speak to its conversion speed or quality.

Good luck! Let us know which workflow you settle on and what issues/annoyances arise.

JODY ELDRED:

Hi John,

The other guys you're asking are way above my paygrade with regard to technical workflow solutions. I am honored that you include me among them.

I can tell you from a production perspective that if it was my own money (and it often is), I would positively find a better camera to shoot with. The V1U makes nice pictures but it is practically impossible to get shallow depth of field, and of course while it scans in true 24P, it records only 60i.
The zoom is too touchy to do subtle moves, and same applies to the focus control.

Consider renting an XDCAM HD, either an F350 or F330. They shoot true 24P, use larger 1/2" imagers, have "real" HD lenses that can achieve shallow depth of field, subtle zoom and focus controls, and offer far more control regarding color and latitude. My F350 is often indistinguishable from footage shot with my F900R.

The editing is a snap, with small file sizes (35 mbp/s or less), no log and capture required as you simple transfer over circled takes (or whatever shots you choose), ad this happens faster than real time (often x2).

The money you save in trying workarounds and other gymnastics in post would probably compensate for the additional camera rental cost, and you would be capturing a far, far better image than anything the V1U could do.

Even if the cost savings didn't equal out, on a feature film, shooting with the right tool is really more of a requirement than a luxury. Trim elsewhere. Don't scrimp on the singular tool for capturing your story.

Hope this helps,

Jody Eldred

PHILIP HODGETTS:

I would go to ProRes 422 from the start: either capture directly to it if you have an Intel machine with enough speed, *and* ProRes capture actually works on that system (some issues of dropped frames even on INtel seem to have arisen).

Failing real-time capture, I'd capture HDV native, then export to ProRes 422 and run through Cinema Tools to remove pulldown then you're set to work in a 23.976 timeline until it's time to output.

If the Kona can reverse pulldown from the component that would be the way to go. Right now we know that ProRes capture won't work on a PPC at all (according to Apple) and there are reports that even on Intel it's dropping frames during capture.

I'd probably capture via FireWire, convert to ProRes, then run through Cinema Tools to reverse telecine to 23.976 again.  That's the path that I know would work smiling smiley.

If you had an Octo MacPro I'd suggest trying the capture direct to ProRes, removing pulldown during capture (if that works).

Philip

ADAM WILT:

can i go out of the camera via firewire and set the capture setting in FCP to prores?

You'd have to check the FCP 6 docs, or try it out. I only have FCP 5.1.4, and even there, my main NLE is at 5.0.4 because I have a big show in mid-edit on it!

or do i go out component to my kona card?

You might even consider getting that $250 Blackmagic card that takes in HDMI, and capture that way. With any luck, the bmd drivers will allow capture to ProRes and do pulldown removal at the same time.

Cheers,
AJW

www.putchfilms.com
Www.route30trilogy.com
Fatherandthebear.com
July 12, 2007 11:06PM
Those are good workflows but check this out again:

If you have a fast machine (which you need for ProRes anyway) and FCP 6, you can get the same exact quality (or better) as those workflows above if you use an HDV Sequence set to *Render* in ProRes HQ and save a ton of drive space. Also, there is no analog hit.

Lets say you shoot 30 hrs of 1080 footage:

HDV 333 Gigs

XDCAM HD 460 Gigs

ProRes HQ 2,787 Gigs

I comfortably edited a 30 min HDV doc on a dual 2.o GHZ G5 with 2 .5 Gigs of RAM. I could have used a little more snappiness compared to DV, but it was OK. But on a modern Intel Mac Pro? It shouldn't be that way at all, especially because you're not RENDERING in HDV at any time anyway. I'm not sure if this is clear to the others above.

ProRes HQ is for color and effects but it won't increase the quality of normal clips in any way.

Personally I have not used this workflow but I have read very positive reports about it.

- Christopher S. Johnson
July 14, 2007 08:51AM
This is a NEW procedure so you'd want to test it throughly before you proceed. Anything with ProRes is new and requires testing. However if you're going to color correct this feature, which I presume you will. Almost every show will have some tweaking to be done, so you'll end up rendering every shot in Pro Res even if you edit in native HDV. SO why not rent the IO HD and just transcode on the capture?

As for the post above regarding a loss of quality from HDV to DVCPro HD, I'm not so sure about that. Before Pro Res came out, that was the #1 method to edit HDV with actually editing HDV. Transcode to DVCProHD. And I don't remember anyone mentioning that the results were lossy.

Again, the only way you'll ever really know is to do test.

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics