No Net Video

Posted by J.Corbett 
No Net Video
July 15, 2007 10:59AM
i am having a spreading problem with browsers.

history:
i was using safari to view the net and slowly started having problems viewing image rotators, flash, and qt files headers would play sometimesy even on my own sight. i then downloaded firefox and it seemed to play just fine until i got this mornings qt update.

now i can not see any of my own headers on my own sight and i can only hear the video. i created all of the video on our site and now i cant see it. headers and video come up as a white area with the qt logo in them.

has anyone ever seen this b4????

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: No Net Video
July 15, 2007 11:33AM
no video or images in firefox,netscape,safari, or explorer

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
July 15, 2007 11:44AM
On my Windows PCs, on pages where hyperlinks are to the files directly (http://whatever.mp3, or whatever.mov), Web Quicktime video and audio stopped playing about three weeks ago on Internet Explorer - embeded material still seems to play OK. The following Quicktime update (last Thursday?) did not solve the problem.

On my Macs, all seems to work properly in Safari.

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
July 15, 2007 12:08PM
my safari was the first to go. i have safari 3 and still no video on my site or any other.

i dare to say that it almost seems like a virus of some sort. and that like contradictory language for Apple users.

""""
July 15, 2007 12:08PM
Can we get addresses so we can all look?

Koz
July 15, 2007 12:18PM
[www.clamxav.com]

Do either of you dual boot or run both OSs at the same time? Microsoft Office viruses are getting really talented at "reaching out."

Koz
July 15, 2007 12:57PM
take a look

its not just my sight i cant watch ifilm either.

""""
Re: No Net Video-pic
July 15, 2007 01:32PM
this is what i see

""""
July 15, 2007 02:03PM
koz

i only run one browser at a time. 80% firefox 20%safari.

""""
July 15, 2007 03:42PM
<<<i only run one browser at a time. 80% firefox 20%safari.>>>

That's about my average. No, I mean do you dual boot with Windows®. or even run them at the same time? I was personally horrified when people said they were doing that as only someone could be who owns and runs both platforms.

Koz
July 15, 2007 03:44PM
Here's what I've got so far, playing through quicktime.

Intel MacBook w/Paralllels & Window XP - No problems - seems to play everything properly
Intel iMac 20" - No problems - seems to play everything properly

Windows XP laptop (Antivirus - AVG) - will play embedded files but will not play direct links.
Windows XP Dual Core (Antivirus - Windows Live One Care) will play embedded files but will not play direct links.

"Not-ready-for-prime-time" Windows Vista experimental machine (Antivirus - Windows Live One Care) - No problems-seems to play everything properly.

Travis
[www.VOTalent.com]
July 15, 2007 03:59PM
I see thousands of JPG images, Cascading Style Sheets and at least three Flash Animations. Oddly enough, no JavaScript. It plays fine on FireFox 2.0.0.4 OS-X 10.4.10. Safari 2.0.4 plays it, too.

Flash playback is not "native" to QuickTime. You have to install it separate. One our our big video Macs at work will not play YouTube.

Did you? Are you crusing with the old Flash Player that came with your Flash Generator Program? What happens if you download the latest Flash Player?

How are you getting your Flash?

Koz
July 15, 2007 05:20PM
You guys need to post browser versions as well as names...works here in Firefox 2.0.0.4. and in Safari 2.0.4. You probably need a Flash Player update.

On a side note with a few crits on the video that I noticed in both browsers that you may want to fix:

* most of your animations should be more gently eased in & out (starting / stopping / moving in a very linear motion)
* if you want it to look like someone's browsing, use a real looking black cursor that switches to the white glove pointer on rollover instead of a plain big white arrow (very easy to make in Illustrator & Photoshop)
* a few of your graphics need drop shadows and others are too big & pop in & out.
* the video itself (performance) is very klunky...stuttering & not very responsive when using the video controls mostly in Firefox (play / pause / rew / ff / etc).

...my 2¢

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 15, 2007 06:01PM
.... I don't know if what Jeff is seeing and what I'm seeing is connected. They seem to have some sort of connection to recent QuickTime player updates however.

On both of my Macs, even the one with Parallels (where I do run both Windows and OSX simultaneously, everything is fine. Quicktime files play normally. I haven't tried Quicktime/IE on the Parallels/Windows machine yet.

On my XP Windows machines, and EVERY other XP machine I try, the recent Quicktime player simply refuses to play non-embedded file links on Web pages. Since Quicktime insists on being the default player for .mp3 files, even when you tell it not to, this means XP users need to download .mp3 files before playing them. I've had two calls from friends last week who suddenly couldn't play mp3 files on websites. I had to instruct them on how restore the default .mp3 playback to Windows Media player.

This is not only annoying to those of us who get called by less computer savvy friends, it makes a great number of websites with links to .mp3 files work incorrectly through Windows Internet Explorer.

Travis
[www.VOTalent.com]
July 15, 2007 09:18PM
Try this:

Open QuickTime.. Go to QuickTime Player > QuickTime Preferences. Click on the "Advanced" tab. Make sure "Enable Flash" is ON. Click the "Mime Settings" button, then click small black twirl down arrow next to "Miscellaneous - Miscellaneous file formats". Make sure "Flash Media" is unchecked, then click "OK".

You may need to restart.

July 15, 2007 10:55PM
JUDE - You Are Some Kinda McGenius.

that did it.

JOE- i actually wanted a few people here to critique my dvd. i wanted to send you and few other people here the dvd to be graded with advice on things i could do better. i know there is a lot that isnt quite right about my graphics and i wanted you, jude, derekmok, shane, foley and wayne to give it the once over and send me an email with your recommendations for improvement.

it is a dvd so i need po bx # to send it. i would love to have some advice. if you can do this then send me a private message.

""""
July 15, 2007 11:08PM
ps joe check out the one on the beauty and style page. it is a directly from the dvd. so is the one on the automotive page.

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics