General FCS 2 Install Questions

Posted by Sprocketz 
General FCS 2 Install Questions
July 16, 2007 03:16PM
A couple quick questions about installing FCS2 as over an existing FCS1 install.

There are no current projects editing on the system so there shouldn't be any problems migrating projects.

I have read the notes on the install disk and have upgraded the OS and Quicktime to the most current versions.

I believe all the media such as sound loops were installed to default locations in the original FCS1 install.

It appears from reading the install docs that the FCS2 installer should take care of everything else for me. Is that right?

I do not need to uninstall FCS1, correct?

Will all the audio media be reinstalled with the new Core Audio Format samples replacing the old ones? Does it leave the old sample intact?

I take it that the new CAF samples will not be useable in non-Apple apps.

Overall, are there any gotchas I need to be prepared for?

Thanks for any info.
Re: General FCS 2 Install Questions
July 16, 2007 03:48PM
I recommed First!, to copy the existing volume of Mac OS X containing FCS1 to another disk or external volume. Ths insures that you will still have a working copy of FCS1 while learning - using FCS2.

Then reinstall MacOS X 10.4.9 or later and QT 7.1.6 or later. You can now install FCS2 cleanly and have a fresh copy of the Mac OS at the same time.

I would never personally think of installing a new version of FCS over the exsisting one.
Re: General FCS 2 Install Questions
July 16, 2007 04:30PM
Thanks very much John,

I have already upgraded the OS and Quicktime so that's moot. FCS1 seems to be operating normally under the most recent OS version.

Unfortunately this computer is used with a lot of other software and a complete wipe of the OS would require more reinstallation work than it would be worth unless upon doing the upgrade there were problems that could only be addressed that way.

It seems a good idea as you say to backup the system drive and have it just in case.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics