Down-converting DVCProHD to regular DV

Posted by Paul C 
Down-converting DVCProHD to regular DV
July 17, 2007 04:25PM
Hi,

I have DVCProHD footage shot on an HVX200, dumped onto my Mac (no Studio 2 upgrade) via a Firestore drive. It's 720p 60p. (I shot it with 4:3 in mind.) I also have DV footage shot with the camera. My final program doesn't have to be HD. Mainly for the web and a DVD.

I figured it makes more sense to edit in regular NTSC DV mode so I guess I have to convert the HD to DV. This is where I'm looking for suggestions. Do I batch process the HD in Compressor? (Never really used it before.) If Compressor, what's the most efficient way to do that.

Or would it make sense to put the HD in the HD timeline, convert it all to standard DV via Quicktime Conversion, start a new DV timeline, import the QT file and then break it up into DV subclips with proper names rather than the HD numbers.

Any help in this workflow would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
Re: Down-converting DVCProHD to regular DV
July 18, 2007 05:24PM
Edit native to the p2 in a 720 60p sequence
Place hold the dv
Copy final sequence to 10 bit 720x486 uncompressed sequence (pan & scan to taste, add grfx pass)
render
copy to DV sequence
Output FW
My 02
July 18, 2007 05:30PM
I don't agree with Chris' assessment. If you're editing in DV, converting those clips to Uncompressed 10-bit SD will just mean you'll have to do oodles of rendering as you edit. Or, you'll have to convert your DV footage to Uncompressed 10-bit SD as well -- five times the storage space.

Uncompressed 10-bit SD would be great if you're going to DigiBeta tape or broadcast and definitely have the right setup. It seems like overkill to me here, since the majority of your footage is DV.

www.derekmok.com
July 18, 2007 05:56PM
I've made some progress in the meantime.
Two ways seem to work, but not perfect.
One is to copy the HD clip in Media Manager and set to recompress, with DV NTSC option, and I get a new clip at 4:3 as desired. The only hitch is that the HD is 60 fps and Media Manager won't allow it to be changed to 30 fps. (29.97). So when I put the new clip in the 30 fps timeline, it requires rendering.

The other way is exporting the clip through QT Conversion, using the DV settings. In the "Size" box I checked "Crop" and that also left me with a 4:3 clip. Trouble is I can't seem to repeat the result. Every other clip I've tried this way comes out 4:3 but it's squished.

This way would be preferable because I can change the framerate from 60 to 30 so no rendering needed in a DV timeline. Now if I could only repeat my success.

P.
July 19, 2007 06:04AM
is the majority dv?

I say press the gas down hard.

Why go through all that conversion?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics