FCPP / AG-HSC1U & AVCHD format

Posted by ChrisMoriarty 
FCPP / AG-HSC1U & AVCHD format
July 23, 2007 05:21AM
Anybody using this?
Does FCP supoort this format?
Re: FCPP / AG-HSC1U & AVCHD format
July 23, 2007 07:22PM
Not sure if this applies to your questions, but I play around with a Sony HDR-SR1 which records HD 1080i in the AVCHD format on an internal 30GB harddrive. When I plug the camera into my iMac with the USB2 cable and then open FCP, if I select "Log & Transfer" all the clips on my camera appear and I can capture them in FCP. It bring the AVCH footage into FCP as Apple ProRes 422 or Apple Intermediate.

Don't know if this applies to the AG-HSC1U, but hope it helps a bit.

Regards, Cyrus
iMac 27" Intel i7 Quad-Core; 16GB RAM; 2TB HD
Final Cut Studio, FCP X, Photoshop CS5, After Effects, etc.
July 24, 2007 05:19AM
Thank you, yeas that helps.

Version 6.0.1 supports the increasingly popular AVCHD format, but not natively. Therefore, you must transcode to either Apple Intermediate Codec or ProRes 422 via the Log And Transfer interface, and that output takes up as much as ten times more space than native AVCHD files. The good news is that once you transcode your video into these formats, editing and rendering are much faster than in native HDV. But there are also some significant limitations to how you can use the AVCHD codec. AVCHD is supported only with a Mac Pro and from AVCHD camcorders that AVCHD camcorders that record to a built-in hard drive. DVD-based AVCHD camcorders are not supported in Mac OS X 10.4 or earlier, Apple says. The cameras on the Mac 1080HD Web site, for example, are confirmed by Apple to work as long as you are using the proper Mac hardware. Macworld has not tested this in-house yet, but has verified with independent sources that this feature works as advertised. We will post the results of our own testing as soon as we can.
July 31, 2007 02:22PM
Hi

I have a sony HDR-SR7E

It support AVCHD as well

But when I connect my camecorder to my mac through USB 2.0 , and open FCP2 6.01

I clikc on the log and tranfer windows , nothing happen , I also selec the path where to find the footage , AVCHD_STREAM but no luck

Tried everything

How are you doing yours thank so much
July 31, 2007 02:28PM
Do you have an Intel Mac? If not I believe you are out of luck unless you get an Intensity Card and hook it up via HDMI.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 31, 2007 05:05PM
Yes

I have a Intel Imac 2.16ghz with 3 gb ram

This is very strange I have looked at many forums , and many people have this working

PLEASE HELP
July 31, 2007 09:51PM
matthewgoodfield Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi
>
> I have a sony HDR-SR7E
>
> It support AVCHD as well
>
> But when I connect my camecorder to my mac through
> USB 2.0 , and open FCP2 6.01
>
> I clikc on the log and tranfer windows , nothing
> happen , I also selec the path where to find the
> footage , AVCHD_STREAM but no luck
>
> Tried everything
>
> How are you doing yours thank so much

You say you click on Log & Transfer and nothing happens. Does the Log & Captue window NOT open? If not, some setting is amiss. You might try trashing preference and opening a new project.

Do you have FCPS2 open/running before you attach the camera? That caused me problems if I had FCPS2 open and running.

I have the USB attached to the iMac, but not the camera and FCPS2 is NOT running. I turn the camera on, then plug the USB into the camera and get a menu on the camera screen asking me what I want to do: Burn a disk, connect to a flash card, or connect to a computer. I select the connect to computer icon and then a disk icon apapears on my iMac desktop called "No Name".

After that, I just open a new FCPS2 project (seems project format doesn't matter), then I click on Log & Transfer. After the new window opens, in a moment or 2 all the clips currently on the harddrive appear in the list of clips I can convert. When I do the convert, they appear in the project sequence and are also in the capture folder on my scratch disk. Then I shut down the project and don't save it. Go to my capture folder and move the clips into my project folder where I'll be working from. The clips are in Apple ProRes422, so I open a new project in that format and inport my clips.

I don't recall doing anything specail to set up FCPS2 to do this. Just attached the camera, opened a project, selected Log & Transfer, and there were my AVCHD clips.

Just be sure to EJECT the No Name drive icon before you remove the USB connection to the camera and shut it down. I didn't eject the disk a couple of times and corrupted the hard drive in the camera. That required a full re-format in the camera and it erased all my clips stored there.

Hope this has been helpful. Don't mean to sound like an expert in this as I'm still using the old "burn and learn" process. Now that I can get the AVCHD clips off the camera, I need to figure how to edit in ProRes422 (after I figure out what that is!).....and this just when I finally got DV NTSC figured out! .... ;-)

Regards, Cyrus
iMac 27" Intel i7 Quad-Core; 16GB RAM; 2TB HD
Final Cut Studio, FCP X, Photoshop CS5, After Effects, etc.
July 31, 2007 11:25PM
Thanks A Lot I got It Sorted in the End

BUT

In the Log and Transfer Window there is a setting which allows you to choose between

Apple Intermediate Codec
or
Apple ProRes 422

I tested a 30 second clip

Apple ProRes 422 was 480mb

Apple Intermediate Codec was 223mb

BIG Difference

Is there a big amount of quality loss between these 2 codecs

Would I be doing any harm by using the Apple Intermediate Codec

Becuase Data Rate is lower , and less storage needed

Is there a large amount of quality difference between the 2

Thanks A Lot for Helping
August 13, 2007 03:13PM
Hi,

Ok for the video of HSC1U : it's usable in FCP.

But what about the sound ? how to keep 5.1 audio ?

FCS2 on MacBookPro 17" - 3GBRAM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics