Cursor problems in Final Cut

Posted by ron 
ron
Cursor problems in Final Cut
August 05, 2007 03:43AM
I'm using a new G5 Intel Mac. OS X 10.4.9 Final Cut Version 5.1.4 Kensington Expert Mouse. I'm having an odd cursor problem that only appears when I use Final Cut.

1.) Regarding the triangle "switches" in the browser window. When you first click on a triangle it turns to open as is normal. But if I click on it again...nothing happens. I have to click on some other triangle and come BACK to the first one in order to close it.

2.) Regarding the pen tool for making volume adjustments on the clips. When you first click on the red line, it places a "point" there as is normal. But if I want to immediately adjust the volume, even though the pen tool has changed to a +, it won't change the point position unless I click on another clip and then come BACK to the original at which time the + works normally.

The two problems sound similar. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ron
Re: Cursor problems in Final Cut
August 05, 2007 05:26PM
These are NOT normal behaviors. Clicking once on a triangle should open and a second re-click should close up. Sounds like you might want to dump the preferences.

Download FCP Rescue for the version of FCP you are using.
August 05, 2007 05:39PM
read this:
[www.lafcpug.org]
ron
August 05, 2007 07:48PM
Thank you John and Nick...for your suggestions.

However....neither of them worked.

The only thing I've noticed that might be a clue is that if I go into the Mac System Preferences and select "keyboard and mouse"....and if I adjust the mouse "double click speed" to the fastest setting...it will improve the cursor problem...but not totally eliminate it.

Here is how it improves it: Clicking on the triangles twice in a row will not open then close them. I have to move the cursor at least a 1/16th of an inch from its original position to get the triangle to close. Similarly on the timeline, using the pen tool... Once I place a dot on the volume band of a clip, even though the cursor turns into a "+", I again have to move the cursor about a 1/16 of an inch away (or click on another clip first and then return to this one) to be able to adjust the volume.

And...in a similar fashion...if I drop a dissolve onto the end of a video clip, I cannot immediately drop the same dissolve onto another clip. Instead...the source video window becomes the dissolve adjustment window - (as though I had clicked on the effect itself) Then...like the other problems....I have to click another effect then return to the dissolve in order to apply it to a 2nd clip.

What these all have in common seems to be the repeating of a function by the mouse....and this seems to be somehow related to the "double click speed" setting of the mouse.

By the way... I am using a Kensington Expert Mouse, but I also have the problem with the standard mouse that came with the G5. I've installed the latest Kensington software update for Expert Mouse, but this did not affect it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Ron
August 05, 2007 08:00PM
I'm guessing one or more of your mouse buttons is stuck. Or you've mistakenly set one of your buttons to automatically double-click (which would mean if you click on a Browser triangle to open something, it double-clicks -- immediately opening and closing it). Try another mouse, or clean the current one.

www.derekmok.com
ron
August 06, 2007 01:22AM
Derekmok...

Thanks for the suggestions. However I have definitely checked the mouse buttons and they are set for single click.

Also....I've tried another track ball as well as the original Mac mouse that came with the G5.

Same problem.

Ron
August 06, 2007 02:14AM
Did you try another USB port? Something other than your keyboard?

Michael Horton
-------------------
ron
August 06, 2007 02:19AM
Gentlemen...

I am pleased to tell you that I have fixed the cursor problem. I went in and threw away ALL of the Kensington drivers and files I could find. Now it works normally. I guess it's getting it's mouse driver info just from the standard OX 10 files. Whatever!

Thank you for your help and consideration.

Ron
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics