Becoming an OSX expert.....

Posted by Ewoo 
Becoming an OSX expert.....
August 08, 2007 12:40PM
Hi.....

I would describe myself as an advanced FCP user and know quite a lot about video and color.

However my understanding of and expertise with OSX issues including maintenance, how all the parts of my system interact, networking etc is very patchy. I usually work out how to get stuff done.....with a mixture of trial and error, google searches and forum postings........but I would like to get a much better overall understanding of OSX and my mac in general.

Does anyone know of training courses in the LA area that address this. Also interested in any recent books or online training sites / info sites that people have found useful.

Thanks in advance,

Ewoo
Re: Becoming an OSX expert.....
August 08, 2007 03:55PM
Mac OS X is generally very easy to maintain. As was in Mac Os 9 and earlier, there are still the preferences to send to Trash when an application acts up and there are times to run Disk Utilities> Repair disk permissions, especially after loading software.

There are only a few tools to use to maintain macOS X files and disk directories.

1- The most important tool to use monthly -- Disk Warrior

2- TechTool Pro is a good all around hardware tester and file check utility

3- Don't forget the Apple Hardware Test disc sent along with your computer.

4 - At least once a year, depending on usage, reload the operating system and applications for a reset of operations.

Scott Kelby has a book that can lead you through many good ideas for system maintenance and some you probably don't want to try as well.
August 08, 2007 05:06PM
Yep totally agree with 1-3.

...but number 4 only if you are experiencing problems.

Keep a good list of reference sites with Mac troubleshooting and links to Apple articles on sytem maintenance.

The Apple Knowledgebase: [www.apple.com] is always a good place to start.

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
August 08, 2007 06:27PM
""...but number 4 only if you are experiencing problems.""

Yes, that's one desperate way of getting out of a long shutout. But planned scheduled maintenance is a much better way to ward off demons in the operation sysem.

Disk drives can loose magnetic spots on the disk platters and loose some important bits of information. While MacOS X UNIX drivers try to resolve those types of issues, they still can bite you at the worst times.

FWIW-
August 08, 2007 09:43PM
As far as LA-area classes, I think the Apple Stores have OSX seminars pretty regularly. They're geared towards new Mac users but you may find some of it useful (and then ask your advanced questions afterwards). Best of all they're free.

If you have $400 burning a hole in your pocket, you could take a class at Moviola: OSX Fundamentals

I would agree with the above points and also add the utility Cocktail to the list. It handles a lot of different OSX tasks in one simple interface. My preferred maintenance is to run the basics (clean caches, repair permissions) monthly, then run Diskwarrior only if I run into problems. I also use Applejack, which runs all the tasks but you have to boot into single-user mode first (ooh... command lines!)

JK

August 09, 2007 04:48AM
Onyx is also a good tool for permissions and Unix Scripts along with others features.

Rule #4 With or without problems, it will keep your system in a good shape.
It also helps you to do the "almost forgotten backups" before doing the clean installation of the OSX.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
August 09, 2007 12:20PM
Ewoo,
Peachpitt Press have some good books some of which cover the kind of ground you're talking about. I've been on macs for about 18 months and love FCP after several years with Prem Pro & PC's.
Boy am i happy i made the jump!

Tomorrow i take the FCP level one exam having saved myself £1300 by studying the book (£25 used on Amazon) instead of doing the official training course. The amount of new stuff i've learned from Diana Weynard is amazing.

Anyway's, getting back to your query i think they have some user friendly guides to OSX which i too could do with getting hold of.
Good Luck
D
August 09, 2007 01:49PM
Lynda.com has OSX training ONLine - I think it was 8 hours long -
I watched it and I learned alot--

Lynda.com has bunches of online classes and Many of them are Very Good-
Larry Jordan dose the FCP classes-40 plus hours - $25 a month -Sweet-
--Jay--
August 09, 2007 05:06PM
Dom Stevenson, read the FCP Manual...
Altough the FCP 6 Book is more precise than the FCP 5.
Some questions of the test are easy but some are very difficult.

Good luck

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics