re-link render files

Posted by James T 
re-link render files
August 16, 2007 02:19PM
hey guys,

Had a 12 hour render last night...

Get back into the bay and the comp is shut down *yikes*

reopen FCP2 and my render is inexistent...

...however my render file is in the render folder...complete(same duration).

tried the standard reconnect media...doesn't find any offline media

any suggs on how to re-link this render file...

thanks again,
J-

If at first you don't succeed, keep ****ing it up 'till it works!
Re: re-link render files
August 16, 2007 02:27PM
No, there's no way. You have to ditch the render files and re-render. Your project file doesn't "remember" the render files because it (the project file) was never saved after the render was created. Those render files already created are dead weight.

In FCP, in my opinion, you never want to render for more than 30 minutes at a time if you can help it. Click on "Cancel" every 30 minutes or so and save the project file. It does not affect the overall render time at all; FCP will retain all render files made up to that point, but saving the project file will allow it to link to render files already created. Whereas, as you're seeing, if a 12-hour render crashes at 11 hours and 59 minutes, you have nothing to show for it and have to start from zero.

www.derekmok.com
August 16, 2007 05:56PM
Also, I've talked to another Assist Editor and it sounds like FCP6 has a hard time finding render files after you've saved, and then shut your computer down. We had a handful of lost renders on one of our shows, only after we saved, backed up the project, turned the system off then back on. everything would be unrendered.
August 16, 2007 06:09PM
> Also, I've talked to another Assist Editor and it sounds like FCP6 has a hard time finding render
> files after you've saved, and then shut your computer down. We had a handful of lost renders
> on one of our shows, only after we saved, backed up the project, turned the system off then
> back on. everything would be unrendered.

It seems more likely to me that you may have an iffy drive. At the very least, it's not a universal problem. I've done three shows on FCP6 and not had any lost render files yet.

www.derekmok.com
August 16, 2007 07:29PM
Thank Derek....

So i had already started the render at 11am this morning.....just read your message and so i decided to cancel and save with six hours remaining before i left....

can you say "CRASH" as i cancel....

FCP6 is the worst experience i have had yet...(this includes compressor 3 which will not open)!!!

"DO-OVER"

J-

If at first you don't succeed, keep ****ing it up 'till it works!
August 16, 2007 07:59PM
> So i had already started the render at 11am this morning.....just read your message and so i
> decided to cancel and save with six hours remaining before i left....
> can you say "CRASH" as i cancel....

Ouch! That's why I recommended every 30 minutes. You cancel at 30 minutes, you either gain 30 minutes of renders (with an expenditure of 30 seconds to stop, save, resume rendering) or you lose 30 minutes. You wait for six hours, you could lose six hours. But look at it this way: If your computer crashed after six hours of renders, if you had waited until all 12 hours were done, you may likely have lost even more time.

Are you sure you have enough space on your Scratch Disk to hold all your render files? A render of 12 hours would result in a massive number, which may send you well over the 90 per cent rule. Check the drive. By now it may also be clogged up by all the files created from your failed renders, leaving you even less space to play with.

www.derekmok.com
August 17, 2007 01:01AM
I have it happen sever times, mostly an inconvenience but I'm very leery of FCP6.

I hope they fix this quickly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics