Geeky FCP questions from the front.

Posted by paurray 
Geeky FCP questions from the front.
August 17, 2007 11:49AM
Greetings fellow FCP geeks.

Have been doing a lot of FCP work in the wee hours of the morning and am running into some challenges. Maybe there are some simple solutions! Would be very grateful for feed back.

1. How do I apply a border filter to the cropped edge of a picture?

Am doing a lot of split screens where one cropped picture zooms across the screen to occupying half of the canvas!

Inevitable the request comes "I´d like a border on the picture!"

But I´ve cropped the edge of the picture where I need to apply the border?

i.e. the border will be there but where the edge of the picture really is and not where it´s cropped!!!

Am I missing something here.

Is there maybe a work around?

2. The universal key frame button rocks.

I love the universal key frame.

Typically I have a picture in picture effect. With 3 pictures.

The big back ground one and two little ones left and right which I animate to drop in(from top) and then drop out again (exit bottom.)

The two little pictures move parallel too each other through the frame (left/right) on top of the big background picture.

I stack my three clips in the time line.

Scaling as required for PIP effect.

Activate the canvas wire frame mode.

Drag my two little clips out of the canvas (i.e. above it)

And hit the Universal keyframe button!

I step through the time line, e.g. advancing 6 frames and set another universal key frame and drag my first little picture to where I want it to rest for the PIP effect.

I go to the end of the stack of clips and do more or less the same as above to get the little picture out again (below canvas), clicking and dragging as I go.

Then I copy my key frames for the first little picture to the second little picture.

At this point I want to change one parameter, and one parameter only.

i.e. the X axis.

i.e. I want the second little picture to move through the screen to the right and parallel to the the first little picture!

What happens is that I have to repeat this process for each of the keyframes!

i.e. If I have for e.g. 4 keyframes I have to change the X axis 4 times!

Am I missing some thing here.

Is the solution to position the clips on there X axis before applying keyframes to get them to drop through the picture?

i.e. Is my work flow the problem or can change a particular parameter in one foul swoop for an animated clip? As in my case the the X axis !!!!!

3. Am I going mad or does trying to slip and slide a clip, typically in a constellation similar to in point 2 (but with a speed effect for good measure) produce very unpredictable results!!!

i.e. spitting out material which is no where near to the material on which I am working!!!

Sorry that this is all so long winded but I can´t think how I could explain it in a more concise manner!

many thanks

paurrayhot smiley
Re: Geeky FCP questions from the front.
August 17, 2007 04:48PM
Folks have an easier time responding when you stick to basically one topic per post.

And be certain to first do a Forum SEARCH on the keyname "apply border". Check out one relevant thread from this search:

[www.lafcpug.org]

Also, be certain to tell us what version of FCP you're using; it might be relevant.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Set Video In & Out separate from Audio with Control I & O !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Re: Geeky FCP questions from the front.
August 18, 2007 02:54AM
Hi Loren

Your right I should have done a search!

And will break down Q´s in the future.

thanks

paurray
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics