Page Peel effect not working

Posted by Lisha 
Page Peel effect not working
August 20, 2007 01:42PM
Hello to all,

Okay, don't laugh... I'm using the page peel effect for a project. I created several "newspaper pages" in Photoshop and imported them into Final Cut Pro. My transition from one newspaper page to the next is the page peel effect. If anyone has suggestions on alternate transitions from one newspaper page to the next, I'd love to hear them. :-)

Anyway, I've been using the page peel effect for several days on this particular project. Today when I apply the page peel to some of my clips the effect is not working. When I play my timeline the transition plays back as if it is a cut instead of a page peel.

Any suggestions?

As always, thanks in advance.
Lisha
FCP 5.0.4
Photoshop 7.0
OS 10.4.9
G5 2.3ghz/5gb
Photoshop 7
Re: Page Peel effect not working
August 20, 2007 02:44PM
Ahhhh! You're using Page Peel! Camembert alert!

Did you check the usual suspects for failed transitions -- the clips are flush against each other, dumped render files, etc?

www.derekmok.com
August 20, 2007 03:46PM
maybe its the gods of taste trying to convince you not to use it ; )
August 20, 2007 04:21PM
Are any transitions working or is it just the page peel?

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 20, 2007 04:24PM
Render files are there. Each clip is on it's own track slightly overlapping each other. I've reapplied, the effect, restarted Final Cut Pro and restarted the computer repeatedly.

Unless the God's give me another idea...or someone on this board, I'm sticking with the Page Peel. LOL!

I should add, this happened on Friday and restarting Final Cut Pro fixed the problem. However, today restart is not fixing the problem.
August 20, 2007 04:27PM
Hi Michael,

It's just the Page Peel. The other effects are working. And it's not all of the page peel transitions. I've looked for a pattern, but I haven't found one yet. Some of the Page Peels are working and some aren't.

Thanks so much,
Lisha
August 20, 2007 04:35PM
Well the usual response when things are working and then for no reason stop working, is to trash your preferences. And like Derek said, dump your render files and reapply the transition. Done that yet?

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 20, 2007 04:36PM
> Each clip is on it's own track slightly overlapping each other.

I think that could possibly be your problem. Page Peel isn't meant to be used on separate tracks (in fact, I'd say the only transitions I'd use for clip-to-nothing and nothing-to-clip transitions are cross dissolves). Put the outgoing and incoming clips on the same track and apply the transition to the cut between them.

www.derekmok.com
August 20, 2007 04:39PM
It's been working for for a couple of weeks now -- I'm doing a series of presentations and have finished at least 5, all with successful Page Peels. :-) But I will give it a try. Thanks Derek!
August 20, 2007 04:41PM
...and I will trash my preferences...again. :-)
Re: Page Peel effect not working -- this is what I did...
August 20, 2007 05:59PM
Here's what's working for me now...

I've put together several of these presentations so I opened the "McDonald's" sequence and dragged & dropped the Page Peel from that sequence into my favorites folder. I closed the "McDonald's" sequence and reopened the sequence I'm working on today, then I dragged the Page Peel from my favorites folder onto my newspaper pages and all are working. However, the Page Peel from the Page Peel folder in the Effects tab, still does not work on some of the clips.
August 20, 2007 06:27PM
I've seen this problem happen from time to time with some transitions (not just the page peel -- although I stopped using that on my last used car commercial in 1983 spinning smiley sticking its tongue out )

Had the same experience as Lisha -- the Dissolve or whatever effect won't work from the pull down menu at top of screen but WILL work if you copy and past that transition that worked on a previous set of clips from another part of the timeline. It's so rare and intermittent that it is hard to debug.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics