3:2 or 4:3?

Posted by nlittrell 
3:2 or 4:3?
August 29, 2007 08:57PM
Hi:

I'm trying to figure out the best setting to capture and edit in. I'm working on a very home-spun, low-budget documentary using footage shot on a consumer sony mini-dv camera and am editing with FCP 6.0.

When the film is complete, I plan on projecting it on the "big screen" as well as web broadcast.

Should I be capturing and editing with a 3:2 aspect ratio or 4:3? Does it really matter?

Thanks!

Nicolle
Re: 3:2 or 4:3?
August 29, 2007 09:29PM
DV (and SDI) both produce a lovely 4:3 picture on your tv screen and on the FCP canvas. If you have a perfect display, you should be able to take a ruler and grease pencil and measure it.

However, because of the oddball shape of the pixels making up the image, the actual, real pixel count is 3:2.

3/2 = 1.5

720/480 =1.5

I don't know why Final Cut included 3:2 in the capture specifications. I've never seen the numbers written that way anywhere else. Tooooo much information.

Koz
Re: 3:2 or 4:3?
August 29, 2007 09:31PM
capture and edit in the native format:
if it was shot in the traditional TV aspect ratio then just choose the DV NTSC Easy Setup in FCP 6.
if it was shot using the camera's "widescreen" setting (if it has one) then choose the DV NTSC Anamorphic Easy Setup

(if you're in PAL land then you should choose the relevant PAL Easy Setup version of the above)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics