Euro Travel Considerations

Posted by Nick Baer 
Euro Travel Considerations
September 10, 2007 09:32PM
Dear Friends -

Do you have experience traveling with camera(s) and Mac(s) from here to Europe around Europe, and back again?

Do you have recommendations for "flight cases" -retail or homemade Home Depot tool boxes?... do you lug them around, or send ahead?

Are airlines and customs easy or hard on gear?

Any anecdotes?

Any words of wisdom from our European friends here about Mac compatibilities there?

THANKS!
Re: Euro Travel Considerations
September 10, 2007 10:24PM
we've covered this a good deal in the past and its a matter of personal experience. some have horror stories, others have had no issues...

personally ive almost always checked my gear and packed it in heavy duty broadcast cases or pelican cases. ive traveled internationally for about 10 years and the only casualty has been one firewire cable.
September 11, 2007 02:05AM
"Do you have experience traveling with camera(s) and Mac(s) from here to Europe around Europe, and back again? "

In the European Union, your destination country is where you will have do deal with customs paperwork. Then, if travelling by land, probably you won't have no problems because the borders are open. But be sure to keep always your documentation ready and altough english is spoken almost everywhere you should learn some kind words as "thank you" and "please" of the country that you are in the moment.
In some countries, be very carefull with your gear. You can see the security level by looking inside the cars. In Germany, people leave their stuff in the cars while in Spain they don't.

"Any words of wisdom from our European friends here about Mac compatibilities there?"

The only issue here is the AC plug that you must by an adapter. Mac users are around here and they share the same passion for the "fruit" as the Americans.

If you are coming to Portugal or if you need any help, send me a private message, i will send you my phone number and email address.

Rui

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
September 11, 2007 06:27AM
Once in Europe you are fine for border checks....NEVER even in Switzerland where there is no crime leave anything in a car. Flying within the European Union especially Britain be prepared for stringent checks at immigration. You will have to open flight cases and put them in the hold. A small DV cam I would carry on as hand luggage. Watch the change in Voltage especially with mac books, check the quality of the fixtures as voltage spikes are not uncommon and will execute your mac in one fell swoop. In Italy you might have to deal with the Carabinierre (military police who love to harrass) and above all insure the lot. Happy trails..Phil UK
September 11, 2007 07:04AM
Get a carnet.
September 11, 2007 07:53AM
The carnet was actually law before the borders became well..not check points so to speak. The Carnet will cover your backside with regards to bringing equipment into Europe. I would definately inquire as to whether you will need one.
September 11, 2007 11:03AM
Hi:

I just returned from England and Scotland for a few weeks.

1. Ogio Ty Video backpack held the HVX-200, batteries, P2 cards, adaptor, cables, six small hard drives, rain jacket and my 15" Powerbook. Great backpack, a little hard to find, I bought it at a skateboard/snowboard shop in Valencia. Cheap too, $149.00 Beware that Euro flights only allow for one carry on, not two like most domestic flights. My backpack was barely within size limits and way over on weight but I figured if I was a fat American, the same weight would be on the plane anyway. Nobody stopped me to weigh the backpack.

2. MUST have a carnet. I would recommend Roanoake Traders, it was around $400.00 for the above package.

3. Everything I brought that ran on AC worked fine with the addition of Radio Shack plug adapters

4. Bring lots of money. Not sure about Euros but in U.K., the day I went, the exchange rate was U.S. $2.23 to the U.K. Pound Sterling. Ouch! And stuff is not cheap in Europe. I feel sorry for all of our European colleagues who have to buy cameras and gear over there, it is so much more expensive. Gas was $10.00 a gallon in Scotland.

5. Try to pre-adjust your sleep schedule to avoid jet lag. I ended up staying up really late while over there and I was Zombie when I got back home, even after a week.

6. Get used to trains. Train travel is a pretty good way to get around Europe. Being a native Californian, trains are a novelty but I was able to cover pretty much all of Scotland and the North of England in a week, using just trains and taxis. I shot in 46 cities in 6 days, didn't get to sight see much ;-)

Have a good journey.

Dan
September 11, 2007 11:13AM
"I feel sorry for all of our European colleagues who have to buy cameras and gear over there, it is so much more expensive."

Thanks man.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
September 11, 2007 12:32PM
What countries are you going to and what gear are you thinking of travelling with?

It might be easier to just get on a plane with your laptop and rent everything else locally. Prices for rentals are pretty similar throughout Europe with the added advantage of having everything at the right voltage and avoiding other potential incompatibilities and also not having to mess around with customs.

Anecdote Dept.: A buddy of mine is a photographer with the identical name as a famous WW2 German fugitive who also happened to be a photographer. He came into Lisbon once from Brasil with his gear and promptly got arrested. Cooler heads prevailed once they realized he's 40 about years younger than the guy they were looking for. Hard to believe, but I swear, true story.

Whatever happens, you're in for some adventures if you're shooting in Europe for the first time. Drop me a line if you need help (or get arrested!) here in Munich.

Clay
OT-Re: Euro Travel Considerations
September 11, 2007 03:16PM
Here in Portugal every thing can happen!!!

Clay, wie gehts du? Alles gut?
Ahhh...Munchen! Bier und schon frau.

Some years ago i was in in your lovely city developing a software, DETECT, at the Taurus Media Technik.
Last July i went to Nuremberg and i had to go to Munich. Wonderfull place.

Nick, people are waiting for you here.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
September 12, 2007 04:51AM
The UK is phenomenally expensive...you really have to live off your wits finacially...there so many millionaires in London now that the London Assembly feel they can charge what they like..it's insane. I have friends who come over from Canada who find it staggering. It's unsustainable and does our film industry no good at all. Plus budgets are falling in the TV world.
Anonymous User
September 12, 2007 05:41AM
Hi all

I'm in Harrogate near Leeds right now after coming back from Amsterdam. Yes, UK is hugely expensive. Amsterdam not so much except for horrible American dollar exchange rate. I honestly don't know how anyone can live in UK unless they are making a six figure salary. But it is so damn beautiful. God I love it here. Going off to York right now to play tourist. smileys with beer
September 12, 2007 03:54PM
Michael - be sure to check out the Shambles in York, an ancient little street that is picturesque as can be. And look for cats climbing the buildings.

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics