HDV to DV Pal

Posted by Dom Stevenson 
HDV to DV Pal
September 15, 2007 05:15PM
Today i shot a short film as part of a "make a short film in 48hrs" competition. I captured to FCP6 in 1080 25f (p) mode having shot it on the Canon XHA1 in the progressive HDV mode, and tomorrow i'll be editing it. Now i'm told they want it put back to DV on a tape.
Because time is very tight (7pm tomorrow) i wanted to check what would be the best way to go about getting it back to DV so i'm not pulling my hair out tomorrow afternoon.
Do I edit in HDV and then create a new DV PAL anamorphic sequence before outputting to tape?
I tried this earlier but the new sequence was zoomed in presumably because the HDV pic is much bigger. What's the best way of getting this film back onto DV tape in the right aspect ratio?
Another option would be to recapture (its only 40 mins) by downrezzing out of the camera, but this seems like an unneccesary step.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance as always for your help.
Dom
Re: HDV to DV Pal
September 15, 2007 10:24PM
You could do either, but if I were you, I'd use this time to do the recapture, purely because for sure you're going to be in a tearing hurry by the end and not want to have to lose time to conversions.

40 minutes now is a lot less stomach churning than 40 minutes before the deadline.

September 16, 2007 01:27AM
definitely do the recapture.

you don't have to stop working.
you can keep cutting the HDV,
then while you have a break, do the re-cap.

then use Media Manger to create an offline version of your whole project,
DONT delete unused,
Set sequences to: DV
Base Media File names on existing file names

you should be able to re-connect to the new capture.

could save you a few minutes smiling smiley

nick
September 16, 2007 06:13PM
Many thanks Nick and Jude.
I was pulling my hair out about this last night when the director checked up and discovered that a DVD was admissible after all.
Don't know if you've ever done one of these 48hr short film things but its a an interesting crash course in filmaking that i reccommend. Having said that i'm pleased its over and am looking forward to hitting my bed tonight.
We all turned up (4 of us, strangers to each other having answered an ad on a website) at 6pm on Friday night. At 7pm we were told over the internet that the theme of the short was "Hero" and it had to be from 1 to 5 mins long.
It all sounded like a good laugh until the cameraman rang to say he'd left his HVX 200 at a bus stop on the way over. He had it in a pelican case and was sitting on it while waiting for the bus. The bus turned up and he sat noodling around with his ipod for a couple of miles before a strange and terrible thought came over him.

DOH!!!!!

Needless to say the camera walked.

I was brought in to cut the short but suddenly became the cameraman too. I have a Canon XHA1 which is a lovely piece of kit - much derided around these boards due to the pompous oneupmanship of panasonic bores. The original camera man - rather soically i thought - decided he wasn't going to let his misfortune get in the way of a days (unpaid) shooting and came on board anyway - with a raging hangover which was to be expected under the circumstances. I let him man my cam most of the day because it seemed only fair, and he turned out to be a top bloke who i'm looking forward to working with almost as much as drinking.
At 6.30 tonight we had half an hour to get the DVD to a production house in Soho and i live in North london 20 mins away. Compressor had done its stuff and all i had to do was run it through DVDSP. I pressed BURN and got a nasty little box saying FORMATTING FAILED - 3 times in a row. The director turned grey and chain smoked all my cigarettes at once. The failure was due to something being IN USE ELSEWHERE so i shut down FCP and Compressor and it worked. I must have burned 500 DVD's in this way and i've never been told to shut down Compressor first before, assuming that was the problem.
Anyway, we jumped on my motorbike and rampaged accross central london and made the deadline.
All in all a good experience, and the XHA1 produced beautiful pictures once again.

Sorry for rambling and thanks once again for your help.

Dom
September 16, 2007 08:00PM
Do I edit in HDV and then create a new DV PAL anamorphic sequence before outputting to tape? I tried this earlier but the new sequence was zoomed in presumably because the HDV pic is much bigger. What's the best way of getting this film back onto DV tape in the right aspect ratio?

Usually when you pop an HD clip into an anamorphic SD sequence, it resizes automatically. Is that no longer the case with FCS2? I haven't gotten to try it out yet.
September 17, 2007 05:17AM
Dom - sounds like an interesting experience - can you post your final?
September 17, 2007 05:30PM
Not sure how to do that Jusrus. Can you reccommend somewhere i can put it, and what format etc?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics