How to batch lock / unlock tracks

Posted by maximoose 
How to batch lock / unlock tracks
September 16, 2007 03:53PM
I'm working with 12 audio tracks. Every time I need to edit a track. I have to click and lock individually each one of the rests.
Is there any faster and elegant way like in the Avid where you can batch lock or unlock all of them with one vertical pull down/up of the mouse?
Re: How to batch lock / unlock tracks
September 16, 2007 03:56PM
Shift>f5 locks and unlocks all audio tracks I believe. f4 is for video tracks.

Andre
September 16, 2007 07:39PM
Another cool way of selecting one or all the tracks...

Holding down the ALT/Option key and clicking on the locks (or any timeline buttons) will switch all others off and clicking the same button again with the key held will switch them all back on.

I use this alot for cut and paste and locking tracks.

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
September 16, 2007 08:54PM
I use Ben's method - option click on the lock to lock all tracks but this one. But why do you always need to lock the other tracks to edit a single track?

September 16, 2007 10:45PM
For the same reason we use a drop cloth when painting?

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Set Video In & Out separate from Audio with Control I & O !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
September 17, 2007 01:05AM
i used to use the lock-all but-one-then-lock-that-last-one technique.

i think it's popular because Shift & F5, or Shift & F4 isn't that intuitive,
especially when you have to flip the combo to F5 or F4 then a number to lock / unlock an individual track

so i re-mapped the commands:

Control 1-8 = lock V1-8
Control 0 = lock all video tracks

Control Option 1-8 = lock A1-8
Control Option 0 = lock all Audio tracks.

i find this really easy and fast to use.
last year i was cutting footage with 8 tks of audio.
"lock all audio tracks" was a major part of my workflow.

nick
September 17, 2007 01:09AM
Heh. I gotta get used to using these shortcuts. I had 28 tracks of audio on the trailer I just worked on (in Show and Tell right now) and they drove me batty.

www.derekmok.com
September 17, 2007 03:24AM
I usually work with 8 to 10 lines of audio and I hardly ever lock anything. In my latest project I am locking the music at times, but I don't really understand why you'd need to lock so much all the time. And I don't mean that to sound like 'I'm so much better at handlng my audio than you lot' - I just don't really understand it. If you constantly lock sections and move others, surely your grabs start overlapping your voice and your music doesn't hit at the right points and so on?

November 13, 2007 04:41PM
Nick, I like how you can quickly lock and unlock individual tracks with your mapping layout. I should give that a whirl.

At the moment I have a simpler mapping:

SHIFT-1 locks all video
SHIFT-2 locks all audio

That way I can do it with one hand.

A friend taught me this mapping and it was a revelation.

Garret
November 13, 2007 05:54PM

But why do you always need to lock the other tracks to edit a single track?

I don't, its not Avid! tongue sticking out smiley

Its not that I use Toggle Lock Track so much for cut/paste its the other Timeline buttons like Toggle Visible and mainly Toggle Auto Select to choose which track to paste into if cutting/copying from one track to another.

In fact I only really lock tracks when the Director(s), Producer(s) or other person(s) want to scrub through the timeline whilst I nip out on a bathroom break or have to leave the room for any reason.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
November 13, 2007 08:33PM
I lock tracks mostly when I'm trimming linked tracks in the timeline. But I probably also hold option and do the trimming just as often. Just depends.

For instance, if I have a paired set of audio tracks, it takes longer to adjust each one separately while holding option than to just lock all the video tracks, then slip the audio.

Does that make sense? How do you guys do something like that?

Also: I lock the video tracks when I want to add an audio transition to an audio clip that's linked to a video clip (right-click), so the transition doesn't get applied to the video also.

Garret
November 14, 2007 04:17PM

For instance, if I have a paired set of audio tracks, it takes longer to adjust each one separately while holding option than to just lock all the video tracks, then slip the audio.

same here.

last year i was working with clips that had 4-8 tks of audio.
i used locking a lot then smiling smiley

i would lock all VIDEO if i wanted to trim audio

i would lock all AUDIO if i wanted to cut a video-only shot into the Timeline. (overwrite only of course)

should have mentioned this back in Sept,
sorry.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics