Color went ballistic?

Posted by Dom Stevenson 
Color went ballistic?
September 17, 2007 05:03PM
Sorry for putting a color post on here. I did put one on the right forum a while ago but its not had a reply and i need one if there's anyone around.
I shot a 5 minute short this weekend and decided to give Color a go. I've used it for fun but never rendered anything before. Five hours later it's still rendering and theres a whopping 21GB file in the renders folder in the Color Docs folder.
First of all it decided to render every frame of the 40 mins of rushes on the tape, even though i only sent the five minute final movie, and now it seems to be doing it all over again.

I'm tired and want to go to bed but i dont want to lose the hours i've waited. On the other hand i think if i leave it all night my hard drive will explode by the time i wake up.
Any ideas?
thanks
Dom
Re: Color went ballistic?
September 17, 2007 06:37PM
False alarm. think i've identified the problem.
September 17, 2007 10:09PM
Need to tell us Dom. Might help others who have same problem.

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 18, 2007 03:41AM
Good point Mike. I just woke up and am back at my desk. I think one of the things that happened was i sent the project more than once thinking it wasn't working properly so ended up sending multiple versions. This is the easy bit that makes sense.
But the more worrying thing was that it appeared to be rendering every single frame i shot as well as the sequence. I sat down to watch tv while it did its thing in the background and noticed that all the outtakes were being rendered and that the color docs/render folder on my HD was growing at a staggering rate. I pressed esc to pause and started analysing the render queue more closely. I do not own a deck so i tend to capture in big chunks to spare my camera heads so my 40 mins of 25p footge was made into 3 files in Capture Now. Color was rendering the whole files as well as the small edited clips. I started moving some of these mega files from the render folder to the trash because they were taking an hour plus to render each and were largely outtakes. I also went through the render queue in Color and removed the files with the 15 minute timecode. Having got the big stuff out of the way Color rendered the small clips quickly and efficiently on my machine (intel mac pro +NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT) so i went to bed and left it to do its thing.

This morning i see the render folder has swelled to 45 GB and still hasn't finished. It still seemed to be finding mega files to render so i threw them in the trash and removed any more suspect looking files from the queue. could it be that i've mistakenly selected everything in the browser?
Anyway i've done the send to FCP thing and was warned that some of it wasn't rendered. I clicked send anyway and a new sequence from color appeared. the file is nested and i'm now in 2 up view comparing it with the original. Later today i think i'll delete the whole lot and start from scratch. I'll let you know if the second time around is successful.
I like this programme very much and i didn't have one crash in the whole process. When i first got it it crashed every 20 mins but Jude Cotter kindly spoonfed me through the drama before reccommending a reinstall which seems to have done the trick. All i need now is a Matrox MXO box and the long awaited Peachpitt book and i should be fine.
September 18, 2007 11:18AM
Ripple Training will be shipping their long awaited Color training DVD soon.

[www.rippletraining.com]

Not six weeks as it says now

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics