internal drive for PM G5, needs to be apple?

Posted by bernardojv 
internal drive for PM G5, needs to be apple?
September 24, 2007 06:25PM
Hi

I already bought an external raid for media and now I'm looking at internal hard drives of 400-500gb as a second hdd for extra files (render, music, images). I'll use the original 250 hdd that came with the tower as my system drive.

The Apple authorized sellers insist that I get an "apple certified hdd", more expensive than general hdds. What is the difference, and (if there is one) where could I find an equivalent of apple drives so I could do a price research?

Would this [eshop.macsales.com] Western Digital SATA be as good as the apple hdd? At OWC I've found one for $115 that looks great. Would I have any problems installing it on my PM G5?

I have a Power Mac 2.3 dual 2g ram and 1x250 Western Digital Sata drive
Re: internal drive for PM G5, needs to be apple?
September 24, 2007 06:46PM
thats BS, any reputable sata drive will be fine. western digital, hitachi, seagate, etc...
September 24, 2007 06:52PM
I recommend Hitachi or Seagate. As long as the interface is compatible with the G%, it does NOT have to come from Apple.

Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 24, 2007 07:03PM
Wayne Grazin
thats BS, any reputable sata drive will be fine. western digital, hitachi, seagate, etc...

that's what I tought. Thanks guys.
September 24, 2007 08:23PM
I always go Seagate too. Nice drives that work great in Macs.

September 25, 2007 05:35AM
I have Seagates and they never mess me around, they don't overheat - they have never failed in five years of FCP application...and they are cheap.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics