4k and 2k.. what it stands for?

Posted by darthfader 
4k and 2k.. what it stands for?
September 27, 2007 02:35AM
The video world is new to me .. and i'm reading up on the theory, but:
Can someone explain to me what the 2k and 4k resolution actually stands for?

I am aware of the different resolutions / formats to do with SD and HD (although i'm still not clear on the different frame rates per se.. and why they exist) but can't figure out what the 2k is actually referring to.. (2000 of what??).

thanks

S. Husky Höskulds

[www.eightbitaudio.com]
Re: 4k and 2k.. what it stands for?
September 27, 2007 03:04AM
It's the number of horizontal pixels in the picture. 'Standard' NTSC TV is 720 pixels wide. Widescreen (16:9) pictures are around 1000 pixels wide. 4K is around 4000 pixels wide. This means much more clarity in the picture, because the more room you have, the more detail you can put into the picture.

September 27, 2007 07:04AM
Additionally, 2K was the first resolution to be considered remotely acceptable for film finish work. It was first used in scanning films to digital formats for effects work and DI process. 4k is considered to be closer to the actual grain density of film and right now is the highest resolution being used in any regular workflow. There are rumblings of 8k coming down the pipe but with that will take a while.
The RED camera group's oft stated goal was to produce a true 4k camera with no compromises (upsampling, colour compression etc) and they seem to have achieved that.
Working at native 2k or 4k resolutions requires some heavy disk throughput and the processor speed to match but, like everything else, the cost threshold for this has come waaaay down.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
September 27, 2007 09:06AM
Right.. thanks!!

(but you are talking about vertical pixels, right?)

and what's the difference btw the framerates??
in my background - audio - the more the better.. in most cases, for resolution, but i'm slightly lost on this. I'm clear on the film rates, but the 30p, 60p etc is a bit hazy. That's to say, why doesn't everyone just go 60 (the highest?)..

S. Husky Höskulds

[www.eightbitaudio.com]
September 27, 2007 10:31AM
You'll find everything you need to know quite precisely here:

www.quantel.com/resource.nsf/Files/Quantel_Digital_Factbook/$FILE/Quantel_Digital_Factbook.pdf

and here:

www.quantel.com//resource.nsf/Files/Digital_Film/$FILE/Digital_Film.pdf

Sorry, don't know how to link directly here, but just copy and paste the url's and download the pdf files.

Clay
September 27, 2007 11:41AM
In RED speak, 4k is 4096x2304 or 4096x2048 depending on shooting aspect ratio.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
September 27, 2007 11:47AM
Just put the tags in manually while you're typing.

left bracket, the letters url, right bracket, then the address (no spaces) and then left bracket, the letters /url, and right bracket. I obviously can't do that for real, or my instructions will vanish.

That stands for Universal Resource Locater. The letters "url" turn it on and the slash mark plus letters turns it off.

If you have JavaScript running, you can also use the internet tools in the menu bar above your typing.

Koz
September 27, 2007 03:21PM
Koz,

thanks for that. Ok, let's try

[www.quantel.com]

and

[www.quantel.com]

that do the trick?
September 27, 2007 03:27PM
Thanks for that info..
The pdf is great, Clay!!

So, when you talk about 2k, does that include 1920x1080 (consumer, or porsumer?).. or only 2048x1080, and if so, what cameras are used for that resolution? Are most of the pro units capable of producing the 2048 res footage?

S. Husky Höskulds

[www.eightbitaudio.com]
September 27, 2007 03:48PM
Thank the good people at Quantel for providing all that knowledge in one place for everyone for free. Those two guides are pretty much the bible.

Re 2k cameras, check this one out:

www.red.com

That's where the revolution is starting. If and when they start making them in real quantities and getting them into the rental houses, then we'd all have a chance at actually ever using one.

Meantime, afaik, the only real way to get real 2k or 4kmedia would be to shoot on film and have it scanned to 2k or 4k file.

Clay
September 27, 2007 06:56PM
Top draw jargon-busting stuff.

I feel like i've learnt something today.

Nice one Clay. Ta
September 27, 2007 07:44PM
<<<that do the trick?>>>

Yes, exactly. The forum formatting shortens the clicky down to one or two words, but the full address is hiding back there and it does send you to the right place.

Koz
September 27, 2007 07:51PM
This forum software requires you to put http:// in front if you want to turn it into an embedded link.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics