HD to DV Downconversion...Best Quality

Posted by alwerj 
HD to DV Downconversion...Best Quality
October 02, 2007 07:11PM
Hi everyone, I've been converting HDV to DV by placing HDV Material into a DV seq. then exporting via quicktime to create new DV source clips.* It seems however, that there is more quality loss in this process, than in exporting the HD material and re-importing via the HD to DV conversion (via deck). My render settings are at 100%. Being that I have many HDV projects (with the footage already imported) the simplest way for me to convert is by quicktime. Does anyone have any recomendations on how to Downconvert HD to DV with the best results.

*By placing the the HDV clips into a DV sequence, you get the uncropped and undistorted 16x9 image...I didn't find it possible to do this with a quicktime export straight from an HDV seq.
Re: HD to DV Downconversion...Best Quality
October 02, 2007 07:47PM
use compressor to convert it to either dv ntsc (and whatever aspect ratio you need) or if you have the new version of fcp studio use the pro res codec.

there are some setting you can tweak under the quality tab to help with any quality loss. however i will tell you that you are placing 4:2:2 color space into a 4:1:1 color space so not every thing can fit if you decide to use dv ntsc. its sorta like pouring a 32oz soda into a 30oz cup.

the pro res codec was designed for just this purpose and it will not effect the quality at all.

also nattress makes a filter to help with type of conversion.

i believe you can even capture with compressor but dont quote me, its hearsay.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
October 02, 2007 08:02PM
Get a Kona card & downconvert on the fly.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 02, 2007 08:03PM
HDV is 4:2:0. Not sure what the implications of this are in your scenario. Remember the field order is different for HDV and DV. HDV is upper first and DV is lower first (or vise versa).
October 02, 2007 08:24PM
You can downconvert to DV via firewire straight from most (if not all) cameras during capture, so you don't need to capture, then convert. Check your camera menus for 'iLink conversion' and make sure this is on, then set FCP's easy setup for DV. Make a new sequence once you have changed the easy setup, because only sequences made after the change will be DV.

October 02, 2007 09:04PM
another really great way is to import your sequence into color and convert it there. That gives you the option at the source to letterbox or crop and fill the screen from clip to clip.

good luck!

Kevin
October 02, 2007 10:08PM
It sounds like he doesn't have the tapes?
October 03, 2007 11:55AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. Corbett your advice was especially helpful. Jude, the problem is that I have already imported and logged the clips...from over 60 different tapes. So considering the deadline for this project, re-importing footage is probably not going to be feasible. Thanks again guys.

-Al
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics