multicam editing with Frankenstein clips
October 08, 2007 08:09PM
Hello, all-

I have a job that contains nearly ten hours of HDV footage. About half was shot with a Canon A1 at 1280x1080, 29.97fps; the remainder with a JVC 200 at 960x720, 60fps. The footage was captured before I got the job, and these are the sequence settings that "fit" the footage. I was looking forward to getting to work with the multiclip feature for the first time, but, as the manual states, all angles within the multiclip must be of the same codec, resolution, and timebase.

My question is this: Is there another multiclip app. that will take my "Frankenstein" mismatched footage (via XML perhaps) and put it into an interface where I can cut between angles in real-time and then get it back to FCP? I read about Multicam Lite, and another less-pro one by Sourceforge, but it doesn't look like they've been updated in awhile- almost like they were dropped when FCP added the multiclip feature. And they didn't appear to have this feature.

On a side note- just out of curiosity- is it, well, unprofessional to have 2 guys on a shoot shooting different resolutions, frame rates, etc.?

Thanks.

Adam
Re: multicam editing with Frankenstein clips
October 08, 2007 09:51PM
"On a side note- just out of curiosity- is it, well, unprofessional to have 2 guys on a shoot shooting different resolutions, frame rates, etc.? "

I think you've answered your own question.

DUH! Yes, it's stupid to be recording different resolutions and frame rates for a common production.

Mark
October 08, 2007 11:59PM
The 60fps, that's actually 59.94 right? You COULD recompress (as copies of course) both formats into one common format and frame rate, DV comes to mind, multiclip those, edit, lock, collapse multis and relink to high rez originals.

There are a few significant grey areas to this theory that would have to be tested before you commited to a giant render and all the editing but it might work for you.
I just came off an 18 hour shift so caveat emptor.
Ferzizzle Ferzazzle, who wants pie...? etc.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
October 09, 2007 01:03AM
First rule of multicam edit-
everybody join United Nations.

I'd get everything over to a chosen codec-- perhaps ProRes422? Build multicam clips from those? Have a good time?

Not hearing enough about ProRes422 or its HQ cousin. Why?

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Invoke the Audio Mixer with Option-6 !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
October 09, 2007 01:38AM
Mark- That is exactly what I was thinking, but I have a tendency (out of humility) to believe that others know better than I do, and generally have a REASON for doing seemingly odd things.

Andrew- Thanks for taking the time after an 18 hour shift! I don't have the project in front of me right now, but the best way I know how to "detect" clip settings is to make a multiclip sequence out of it, then look at the sequence settings. Or, with FCP6, just drop it into a naked sequence and click "yes- adjust sequence to clip." According to these sequence settings, the editing timebase for footage from the A1 is 29.97, and from the JVC is 60, just as stated before. But regardless, I'm not going to waste a day+ encoding to matching resolutions- I had considered that. I'd rather just get on with the drag-my-face-across-the-driveway picture-in-picture approach. At least it's only 2 angles.

Adam
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics