Video flickers at top of viewer

Posted by Paul C 
Video flickers at top of viewer
October 12, 2007 02:15PM
Hello,

I've got a 4:3 project in DV timeline, output will be mainly for the web. On a few of my clips, you can see the video slightly flickering at the top of the viewer window. (Not on the broadcast monitor) If this was for VHS it would be Ok because the flicker is at the very top edge and out past the viewable area of the screen. But for web or DVD you can see the whole frame, so it shows.

Footage is captured from the same source. The upper flickering only happens on a few clips -- the ones where I've changed speed, or put a blur on. (I also have some where smoothcam was used but I think I read about some adjustments to make within smoothcam for that.)

I even increased the clip's scale by a few % points, past 100%, to see if it makes a difference, but it doesn't. And I made the viewer window 100% rather than fit to window. It seemed to help a bit.

Any idea what's causing this footage to flicker at the top edge? I hope I've explained it properly.

Thanks for any help, as always.

Paul
Re: Video flickers at top of viewer
October 12, 2007 02:52PM
This could be a temporary render issue, and on Export would be fine. The only other thing popping into my mind is the possiblity of some issue of Broadcast SD vs regular SD (486 vs 480) but that doesn't seem to be it, because of your scaling work.
Have you tried exporting it?
October 12, 2007 08:34PM
Yes, I exported a WMV test file with Flip4Mac and you can still see it. And I checked all the render boxes to make it sure it's all full bore.
October 12, 2007 08:41PM
It's the over scan I get it from my Digital 8 Camera. You need to crop it off when you convert to view on a computer. I use the cropping in Compressor I used to use the cropping in Cleaner

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
October 12, 2007 09:24PM
But wait - if you scale up to, say, 150 percent, is the flicker still there? Not that I am suggesting that you leave it like that, but just as a test as to the origin of the problem.

October 12, 2007 10:02PM
It's strange -- I've reopened the project and now the flicker seems to go away if I scale up to as little as 103%. Earlier today the scaling up wasn't making any difference.

The funny thing is this is all footage captured from the same shoot, same camera etc. Strange why some clips have the flicker and others don't, but then putting on a filter like blur or a slo-mo causes the flicker.

I've only found about 4 clips where this happens.

Thanks for the tips.

P.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics