My Text has been Vandalized

Posted by J.Corbett 
My Text has been Vandalized
October 14, 2007 02:31PM
i have this project i just did where have some reflections. looks great in fcp. looks great as h264. looks great when playing back on a pc dvd player.
last night i played it on an hd tv and it looks great until the address comes up and then there are jagged edges in the reflection. the source of the reflection is just fine it just jagged under the gradient. the opening has a reflect built the same way. it also has a jpeg that wasn't the best to use. its reflection is fine.
the reflect at the end is built totally in fcp using text gens and a custom gradient. i have tried to put some gaussian blur on it but it just looks like jaged edges with blur.

it is up for view in show and tell

at open you will see a logo with a light spill reveal, this is the crappy jpeg i had to work with. at the end you will see the same logo reveal and right after that is the address where the jagged problem is. i am relatively sure that the text is at least 3 pixels thick. i have burned both sd and hd disc and i get the same result.

i have always had good text and i know a few tweaks that would normally take care of the but i have ran out of options.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: My Text has been Vandalized
October 14, 2007 09:04PM

...this is the crappy jpeg i had to work with

That is ab-so-lutely no excuse.

I left my 2¢ on that "show & tell" thread but I have to emphasize how important it is that a logo be treated with the utmost importance.

If I was paying for an advertisement for my company, I would want that logo to SING...or I wouldn't pay. That's MY logo. My logo's in the Yellow Pages. My logo's on my card. My logo's on my stationary. My logo's on my fricken WINDOW for chri$t's sake. I don't want people associating my beautiful business and all my hard work with a cheesy logo treatment they saw on TV. Cheesy logo = cheesy business (in people's heads). A logo is the company's calling card & should NEVER be treated as a "crappy jpeg". If a jpeg is all I had to work with (and I would have called a few dozen people to make sure that an EPS or AI version didn't exist anywhere on the planet first), I would take that jpeg into Illustrator and retrace it point by point to make it a vector image if necessary.

I don't mess with a client logo.

Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Re: My Text has been Vandalized
October 14, 2007 09:21PM
the logo he likes. he isn't computer saavy nor does he have a tech person to help. he just started using email about 3yrs ago. i spent at least 1hr on prep to add it to the project. i feel the same about my logo pride. that was the best i could do with the logo which looks good even on the hd tv.

the part thats the problem is the address at the end. i am getting really jagged text in the reflection. and i cant figure out how to stop it. look fine in all formats and viewing except dvd. i know that i loose in the codec itself(mp2), but i never lost that much i normally have excellent compression quality.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics