Color artifacts from a pin stripe shirt

Posted by JimEllis 
Color artifacts from a pin stripe shirt
October 16, 2007 06:46PM
Hey guys,
Any filters in FCP version 6 that can take out the color artifacts that appear from a shot of someone wearing a blue and white pin stripe shirt. It doesn't look bad on a computor monitor but shows up badly on an NTSC monitor.
Thanks,
Jim
Re: Color artifacts from a pin stripe shirt
October 16, 2007 06:51PM
Ah...the WONDERFUL "moire" effect.

What I have had to resort to is a 2 point vertical blur. Won't get rid of it, but will lessen the impact.

GAUSSIAN blur...vertical only...2 point.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 16, 2007 08:08PM
NTSC carries the colors as a very fine hound's-tooth pattern that is carefully filtered out in a color monitor so you don't see it on the screen. It's perfectly visible on a black and white monitor.

However, electrically, it's very much there in the cable leading up to the monitor and if you shoot fine detail video that interferes with this pattern, the monitor can't tell if you meant the picture to be in color or not.

The actual desired color signal has a lot of arithmetic behind it and makes a nice crisp orderly pattern. The suit just has random patterns depending on how the actor moves. That's why the interference pattern is wildly shifting rippling rainbows.

You're driving the monitor nuts. "Ooo. This is supposed to be red. No, wait, green. No..."

Koz
October 16, 2007 08:44PM
...I'd like to see a sample please...

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 16, 2007 11:36PM
Thanks Shane, Koz, I will give it a go.
Jim
October 17, 2007 02:42AM
Koz wrote-
[You're driving the monitor nuts. "Ooo. This is supposed to be red. No, wait, green. No..." ]

That's very vivid. I always explain it as details finer than scanlines, colliding *with* scanlines... I picture it that way because moire occurs with movement, and as you move the pattern closer, the details get bigger and resolveable, but pass through scanlines in the process, giving us wavy gravy. Please comment.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Invoke the Audio Mixer with Option-6 !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
October 17, 2007 12:24PM
<<<...I'd like to see a sample please...>>>
<<<details finer than scanlines>>>

I'm dying to post a picture. I found a large screen black and white monitor and now I get to wrangle (technical term) a still camera. What's making me nuts is I have exactly the correct cameras for this--in wet process film.

The manly thing to do is take out one of the company digital still cameras and do it that way.

I'm scared.

Koz
October 17, 2007 04:48PM
there's a couple of people out there selling "Area blur" plugins,
so you could localise the blur to the shirt area.

Joe's Filters comes to mind:
[www.joesfilters.com]
[www.joesfilters.com]

and ooh, look, here's a freebie from lafcpug regular Andy Meese:
[homepage.mac.com]

cheers,
nick
October 17, 2007 06:48PM
Thanks for the input nick, and the freebie as well!
jim
October 17, 2007 10:22PM
OK, here we go.

[www.kozco.com]

Each right-hand view isn't broken, that's what NTSC color television actually looks like. It wasn't taken off-air, but it could have been.

The screen-door pattern is actually the color signal with it's pants down, so to speak, so you can see everything. Color monitors and TVs filter it out. You need at least three of those little balls in succession to get a color on the screen which explains why you can't have really tiny, brightly colored text. It's like building a fine mosaic from standard construction bricks.

PAL works the same way, except there, the dots are smaller and the frame is larger, so the interference is a lot easier to hide and they don't have text problems to near the same degree.

Now if they could just push enough frames per second out the door to properly display football.

Koz
October 18, 2007 03:58AM
Definitely Joe's filter

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
October 18, 2007 01:52PM
The color rainbowing thing technically isn't moiré. The color problem is either a woman's dress pattern interfering with an existing color signal or wholesale replacing it and producing an unintended color.

Moiré, on the other hand, is two patterns that add up to produce a third. If you try to videotape a television screen Moiré will rise up and smack you with a fish. That pattern looks like broad gray wavy lines on the screen that change greatly with the slightest movement.

Another version of that is Miller's idea where different horizontal stripes on the screen at the same time seem to ripple up and down as they line up with the television scan lines or not. Moiré tends to not be in color (although it's a darn good explanation for someone who has no idea what a color signal is.)

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics