HVX 200

Posted by NaylorM 
HVX 200
October 23, 2007 02:06PM
I think I made a horrible mistake.

Our shop just bought 3 HVX 200s. We are all still running Final Cut 5.0.
I am now just reading that I need 5.1.4 to import P2 footage.

I just spoke with Apple, and like they always suggest I have to buy something, this time being the FCP 6 suit, whixh we do not have the budget for.

Does anyone have any suggestion or advice, beside do your research first.

Thanks
NaylorM
Re: HVX 200
October 23, 2007 02:13PM
All you need is FCP 5.0.4. If you run a system update for FCP only, you should be able to get up to that.

Here is the workflow for P2 using FCP 5.0.4...

[library.creativecow.net]

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 23, 2007 02:16PM
Hi Naylor

The upgrade to FCS2 from 5 is only $499.00

I say $499.00 but of course if you don't have $499.00 its not in your budget.

However you may find that you can get a second hand version of FCP 5.1.4 or an old boxed FCS1 from Amazon or eBay.

I think you may pay almost as much as the upgrade for a new copy of FCS1 though, and a second-hand version will might be invalid if it has been used as the basis for an upgrade and they are selling their old version (Not sure on this so ask Apple for confirmation of the requirements for transfer of ownership).

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 23, 2007 02:19PM
You had the budget for $15,000 worth of cameras and not $1,299 work with the footage? None of us here work for Apple & we would have told you to buy something as well.

I don't see any big deal...buy the Final Cut Studio and get back to work!

Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 23, 2007 02:20PM
Hey shane thanks, if our macs aren't hooked up to the net, where/how can I get the upgrade?
October 23, 2007 02:20PM
Good point SR - yes 5.0.4 did work with P2... Oh so long ago now... tongue sticking out smiley

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 23, 2007 02:24PM
...your gonna spend $500 on a 5.x upgrade? You might as well borrow a few more $$$ and go the rest of the way to 6.0.1. You'll need it eventually.

October 23, 2007 02:25PM
GOTTA hook them up to the net...it's the only way. There is no self contained updater, it is only available via Software update.

Mind you, 5.0.4 was the FIRST version to work with P2, and is not without issues. FCP 5.1.1 solved MANY of those issues, and FCP 6 solved a few more. It would be wise to update and avoid those issues. Saving money now and "getting by" with something might bite you in the end when you are struggling to fix something that may end up costing you MORE in time and other resources.

$500 for an upgrade is really nothing man...I'd suggest finding the space in your budget.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
October 23, 2007 02:34PM
All points taken because they are very valid.

Thank you for sharing.

I know $500 seems like such a small amount, but sometimes the boss says enough is enough. It just seems like yesterday we upgraded to FCP 5. If it was up to me, I would have a bunch more goodies being delivered along with FCP 6.

Well I'll get back to writing up a proposal ASAP.

Thanks all
October 23, 2007 02:39PM
Well, upgrading is a necessity at times. When a new camera format comes out, you gotta get the latest version of the editing software that supports that. If not, then you are stuck.

FCP 5 came out TWO years ago...BTW.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
October 23, 2007 02:47PM
Trust me...you will be getting plenty of goodies with FCP6 (...just look at the "suite" list of apps included). I would suggest...while you're writing this up...adding the new Magic Bullet Looks 3 (never hurts to ask). Really amazing film looks app:

[redgiantsoftware.com]

Joey

October 23, 2007 03:19PM
I am assuming you are on G5's or earlier PowerPC chip-set CPU's. The 5.1 FCP update made the product a Universal Binary version. I'm sure we all remember that Apple forced us to turn in our install disks and pay to upgrade to 5.1. It was a nominal fee ($50 if I remember correctly, to offset the production price of the new DVD's, blah blah blah.) So, your best bet is to upgrade to 5.0.4 for P2 support.

Without an internet connection, that is gonna be a bit tricky. Being a valid license holder of a FCP 5 license you legally can borrow someone's universal binary 5.1 disks do the upgrade. The upgrade does not change your license.

The proper way is to get on a computer with an internet connection (you had to be on one to post this thread), and type FinalCutPro 5.0.4 into the search field on the Apple Support page. Doing so should take you here:

[www.apple.com]

On the page I am looking at, you can enter your Apple-ID and your FCP serial number and that should provide you with a link to download an updater file. Burn that to a CD and take it to you FCP machine and install from the CD. As it has been recommended A THOUSAND TIMES, good FCP users ALWAYS update FCP through individual installers and NOT the automatic software update found in the Apple System Preferences.

- Jackson
October 23, 2007 03:27PM
UPDATE

I just got off the phone with AppleCare because the link to the FCP 5.0.4 update is non-functioning. If you have a current AppleCare agreement, they may send you FCP 5.0.4 burned onto a CD.

That is what I had them do for me, since there is a KONA Driver 4.0/FCS2 hardware compatibility issue where they don't work together on a specific codec.

- Jackson
October 25, 2007 06:13AM
Did you get the firestore drives?

If you did, you can shoot quicktimes straight onto the drive and then you dont need the p2 import or the FCP update.

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics