YouTube recipe variations

Posted by camshaft 
YouTube recipe variations
October 24, 2007 04:05PM
I know this has been beat to death, but, there seems to be a new question I put out to you all.

I have worked with the Hodgetts recipe with success for non-YouTube video, and have read Brian Gary's article who brings up a point.

YouTube wants the size to be 320x240 of which Hodgetts also uses in his recipe. However, Gary discovered that his videos were actually 425x318 after uploading. He sizes accordingly so that YT doesn't then scale UP during their conversion process. In looking at my videos, the size shows 425x350.....what the?????

Anyone elso going through size issues?.....pause.....wait for laugh.....or is this part of the compress, upload, have a look, and do again process?

Thanks

Cameron Young
Re: YouTube recipe variations
October 24, 2007 04:11PM
I'm not sure whats going on with YT but they are in the process of changing all the videos so they can be used on the Apple TV (if they haven't done it all already!)

Maybe it would be a good idea to call/email YT and get some answers and share your findings here!

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 24, 2007 04:22PM
I thought they were finished with the cross over. I did email YT and am waiting for their response. Will post if I find out anything.

Cameron Young
October 24, 2007 05:01PM
Cool - what I was really trying to say (badly) was that maybe the new spec is bigger due to this...

..sorry half-concentrating on 30 things at once!

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 24, 2007 05:30PM
No, problem, Ben.

For those who have posted on YT, could you look in " My Account>My videos>edit video info" and see what sizes you have in the" Embed HTML" box?

Is 425x350 the size for YT, or is it 425x318? Survey says!!!!!!!

Thanks

Cameron Young
October 24, 2007 05:43PM
I followed Brian Gary's recipe, got good results, set it to the size he recommended, and YouTube info says it is 425x350. Shrug.

Scott
October 24, 2007 05:50PM
Oops, just had a brain flash. If you'll look at an embedded YT movie, there are those controls at the bottom, below the image. The embedded HTML describes the size of the entire YT thing, and the image you uploaded is just as wide but not as tall as the entire embedded object. Something tells me that the control strip is (350 minus 318, carry the 2, ...) 32 pixels high. Which means that 425x318 is in fact the size of your video, and 425x350 is the size of the embedded YouTube object.

So, everybody's right!

Scott
October 24, 2007 06:20PM
ah hah, but, of course....thanks, Scott, that makes sense

Cameron Young
October 24, 2007 06:50PM
it would be interesting to hear if you think a video supplied to YT as the final 425x318 frame size looks better than one supplied at 320x240 and scaled by them.

nick
October 25, 2007 09:34AM
I think YT is blowing up the frame so handing them the full frame size of their embed may not buy you anything. I think they encode to 320x240 and it defaults to the exapanded size.

The fact that they're moving some things to H.264 is interesting. I believe this is only the "most popular" stuff though and I can't see indicator as to what stuff that is on their website.

I'd also note that the next version of Flash WILL PLAY H.264. YT may well be moving to H.264 entirely to keep Flash compatibility and improve quality (as opposed to moving to On2VP6).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics