Who is jumping into leapord?? (Leopard)

Posted by J.Corbett 
Who is jumping into leapord?? (Leopard)
October 25, 2007 06:32PM
i have been waiting for leapord for a while it looks awesome. i am a ppc user and i am quite looking forward to using the stacks and spaces. i wonder how spaces will effect expose'? hmmmm

anywho, how many of you guys are jumping right on it?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Who is jumping into leapord??
October 25, 2007 06:39PM
Oooo...oooo...ooooo....NOT ME!

But if you do, do so CAREFULLY!!

[lfhd.blogspot.com]

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 25, 2007 06:48PM
Well not a good idea for any of us to do that. Least not on our editing suites. BUT, if some of you are brave, PLEASE post here and lets see what it can do or not do and what it breaks and what it doesn't.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 25, 2007 07:05PM
i am not jumping in until this project is done but those stacks and spaces are seemingly created just for my work flow.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
October 25, 2007 07:37PM
I'll be buying a new HDD to CCC then update to Leopard just to annoy everyone who like to waste 10 days doing clean installs!

This way at least I have a complete backup if it doesn't work!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 25, 2007 08:09PM
Apple just sent me an email telling me my upgrade was shipped today. If the Gods really like me, FedEx may deliver it tomorrow at my office. Then I can spend a happy weekend upgrading (and, hopefully, not upchucking!). If all goes well, will report. If all goes wrong, I'll report anyway...the finger smiley

Regards, Cyrus
iMac 27" Intel i7 Quad-Core; 16GB RAM; 2TB HD
Final Cut Studio, FCP X, Photoshop CS5, After Effects, etc.
October 25, 2007 08:16PM
leapord?

Leopard...

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Re: Who is jumping into leapord?? (Leopard)
October 26, 2007 12:41AM
NOBODY, REPEAT NOBODY who is editing comfortably right now should jump into Leopard without a net. This is more profoiund than simply upgrading FCP or other stdio components. Issues ranging from FC Studio performance under OSX 10.5 to documented DiskWarrior incompatibility to potential Time Machine backup interference have to explored, ironed out, fixed.

That plus more Apple App-Nesia regarding compatibility with older G4 PowerMacs-- apparently you don't run this cat on anything slower than G4 867-- no word about Dual 800's which are effectively faster -- but I consider my Quicksilver 2001 not eligible.

Nothing prevents you from buying it; but I say let the cat scratch on the window for a while.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Invoke your Favorites bin with Command-6 !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
October 26, 2007 04:26AM
Hi All
I'm between projects Leopard is on its way should arrive today {uk}.
Going to install on G5 1.8 and G4 12" laptop 1.5ghz to see what happens, will let you know.

FinalCutPro 5,Shake,Adobe CS3 Full,Cinema4D,Logic,CaptureOnePro,Motion etc etc.

keeping everything crossed

Derek
October 26, 2007 08:00AM
Well, for those who are between two prject and will try leopard with FCS2, please tell us here !!!

smiling smiley

FCS2 on MacBookPro 17" - 3GBRAM
October 26, 2007 08:17AM
I personally never jump into a new OS when everything is hunky-dory on my machines. I will wait...

Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 26, 2007 11:26AM
the time machine thing is a little spooky i hope there is a way of disabling it. it would seem that it would require one hell of a back up drive for editors. id say an editor would need a minimum of 1tb to properly use time machine.

how ever it is about time that osx had some type of file restore. from what i understand of it it simply restores the file and not the entire system config from the time the file was created.

nice haircut joe and when did the bannors start?

""""
October 26, 2007 11:48AM
Time Machine is something you activate. It doesn't run automatically. And it backs up your system drive, not your media drives...from what I understand. So you just need a back up drive as large as your system drive.

Banners started yesterday.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 26, 2007 01:27PM
"minimum of 1tb"

Tell that to the last four 1TB HDDs I filled up with client work and backups!

October 26, 2007 01:32PM
lol. i am at 2tb right now but i dump after every project and save as h264.

""""
October 26, 2007 01:43PM
If only my clients didn't ask for a 10bit Uncompressed version 6 months down the line!

October 26, 2007 02:53PM

...i dump after every project and save as h264

...What? Archive with H.264? HUGE mistake - and not a professional archive format. Like Ben says...you always archive in a high rez format ONLY...especially for client projects. H.264 dumps color on encode so you are KILLING your footage with every encode. If I were the client...I wouldn't be very happy.

October 26, 2007 03:08PM
Upgrade on a perfectly well running system? Not anyone who values their sanity.

Here's what I've done with each upgrade -- Have two internal drives in my tower -- when a new system arrives -- one drive becomes the Guinea pig system....the other remains pristine working with what's working.

Slowly test the waters with new system -- anything broken - periferals not working? compressor -quick time all pro apps aok -- then slowly migrate all the work to the new drive keeping the old system on the old one just in case. Yes I've lost some hair in the past ...but I think it's genetic - not from upgrading!
October 26, 2007 03:32PM
...or just buy a new machine with it already installed!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
October 26, 2007 09:12PM
Just a heads up; There is now a Leopard Sticky for those of you brave enough to install. Please post your after install thoughts and problems there

[www.lafcpug.org]

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 27, 2007 12:12PM
joe i do keep all of my dv tapes well labeled in a library styled rack. i only use a dv tape once. in some cases i burn the fcp movie to a dvd but only when i am 50/50 or better about the client wanting other things done with the same footage. though i may spend 12 - 20hrs creating a 3-4min project it only takes about 2-4hrs recreating it if need be.
maybe not the best policy but i am sure that my clients are not as big as yours you edit stud. lol

""""
October 27, 2007 01:57PM

maybe not the best policy but i am sure that my clients are not as big as yours you edit stud.

Your backup / archive policy is your own...but don't blame anything on the size of the client because that is irrelevant. My philosophy is that the client is the client no matter if it's Bill's Bait Shop or @#$%& and they all deserve the same quality for their money. They will keep coming back if they are happy with the end product. If they find a higher quality end product elsewhere for a similar price, bye-bye in a flash. IMHO, they shouldn't get anything less than the best we can offer. Going that extra mile on quality control (and reminding the client about it) will stick with them & keep them coming back.

...but that's just me smiling smiley

October 28, 2007 12:19AM
And for the record, it's "Who is leaping into Leopard?"

Koz
October 28, 2007 05:05PM
by the way i am just gonna buy another intel machine 3.0 dual core and start a new system from scratch. i need another faster machine and i think leopard is gonna be at least 2-3 yr main stay, which is a long time for any apple/mac os.
apple i think is gonna concentrate on its apple tv for a while to come.

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics